Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

CAI didn't fit

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 03:00 AM
Default CAI didn't fit

Tried installing the S&B CAI earlier but I guess it won't fit w/ the TBS. Which is a bummer especially because I spoke directly to an engineer at S&B and he said it wouldn't be a problem.

Think I'm gonna go w/Airaid as they are designed to be compatable w/TBS.

Hey, SC would you still have had to cut the intake tube on your Granetelli if you had electric fans??
Might get it instead if the only issue was your fan shroud clearance.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 05-05-2007, 04:32 AM
Default RE: CAI didn't fit

Ninety7, if I had electric fans it wouldn’t have been a problem whatsoever. It is amazing the clearance one has with electric fans. I’m sorry you had sizing difficulties with your air intake. Trust me; I know exactly how you feel. I’m finding this problem to be more common then people think when it comes to CAI’s fitting with TBS’s. I know that K&N has disclaimers stating that their air intakes are not compatible with aftermarket TBS’s. Other companies need to take heed to this and start doing more research with their products. There is nothing more aggravating then receiving a product with high anticipation of installing it, only to find out that it doesn’t fit, or it isn’t the right part.

If you can’t afford electric fans now, I would see if the company you purchased the air intake from would exchange it for an Airaid or such. If you decide to trim down the end of your intake, remember that patience is a virtue. Take your time and the results will be well worth it. I wish you the best of luck and I feel for your frustration.

Old 05-05-2007, 10:53 AM

SC, mytruck does have the electric fans.
I just want to be positive that the only fitment problem you had was because of your belt driven fan.
There was no issue with the TBS throwing off the geometry or angle of the intake tube? The reason I ask that is because the 2 problems I had were:

1. the intake tube was too long.
2. the TBS seemed to change the angle of the intake tube making it impossible to connect the air-box and tube.

The main thing I want to be sure of is that you had no problems with how the intake tube worked in connection with the heat shield and filter element. I'm thinking maybe it did and thats the reason you had to cut your tube.

It is frustrating though, I really looked into this to make sure there would not be any issues. If you can't even depend on the word of one their own engineers... Makes you wonder, bro. Thanks for the help and info.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 05-05-2007, 10:28 PM

On the Volant, there is a flexible tube at the airbox side so you could easily move it out some. It is about 6 inches long at the flexible point, so lots of movement. I also have electric fans and have a ton of available room.

Old 05-06-2007, 02:22 AM

Ninety7, if you want to get a cheap electric fan, alot of guys over at another site I'm a member of (nastyz28.com) recommended getting a 2 speed electric fan from a Ford Taurus.

Here's a link to the thread over at nastyz28 that I had started:
http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83573

Notice that one guy (in post #4) says a 2 speed fan from a taurus will move over 3,000 cfms of air! Then in post #6 the same guy states that the only fan that comes close to it is the "Black Magic" fan that moves 2500-2800 cfms at a price between $200-$270. You should be able to score a cheap electric fan from a taurus for less than $20.

Worth checking out! I plan on getting one for my car because I'm having problems keeping it up at operating temperature. I'm running a 195 thermostat, a 17 or 18" flex fan, the stock fan shroud, and a Griffin 31"x19" aluminum radiator. Today it was about 45 or so degrees and my car would not go over 160!

Old 05-06-2007, 01:33 PM

Well luckily Jegs is gonna send me a return label to ship it back to them.

Well it sounds like volants design would work for me, gonna go to a shop and check one out.

Also looking at the airaid, cuz I know those are made specifically for a TBS.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 05-06-2007, 02:45 PM

NINETY7 - if you search under "christmas" then look at the first post, then page three you can see the ics I posted after installing my intake. If you look at the connection to the airbox you can see the flexible piece.

Old 05-06-2007, 08:11 PM

Thanks for the pictures Smoke, I really think the volant will work now. which is good I'd rather have a closed box versus the airaid.
Thanks for the help bro.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 05-07-2007, 10:52 PM

No prob. bro, glad I could help.