Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

CAI Installed!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 02:24 AM
Default RE: CAI Installed!

Glad to hear everything worked out brother! I did not, nor have I ever disconnected my battery to install a CAI. The reason for this is for the MAF sensor. Your terminal doesn't have to be disconnected for your computer to readjust. It is more or less just one of those "safety precautions" for the percantage of citizens classified as IDIOTS! Anyway, do you like it? Notice any gains? Again, glad everything worked out and congrats!

Old 05-08-2007, 03:14 AM
Default CAI Installed!

Called local shops this morning to see who had tha volant i needed in stock found a place with a good price and drove 30 miles to pick it up. turns out the guy was wrong- volants were sold out!
are there any competent people left? well all they had was an Airaid for my application, and they gave me an awesome deal on it,so i took it.

the install went perfect. looks great and the truck feels totally different. the biggest gain i feel is mid-range power and of course the new sound is pretty cool. lets see if mileage improves. really wanted the volant but overall i'm satisfied with what i got.

Did any of you guys disconnect your battery while installing CAI's? i heard it helps the computer
re-adjust. True??
[align=left] [/align]

Old 05-08-2007, 07:06 PM
TruckForum Addict

After any mods, I always disconnect my battery to let it reset.I never do it for the safety factor... but it will give you better results.

Old 05-09-2007, 11:11 AM

MrLM7 can you explain how it gives you better results? I've never heard of this before, but I think I may do it...

Old 05-09-2007, 07:23 PM
TruckForum Addict

It is just like resetting your computer after popping a code. If you make it "re-learn", it will have a fresh look at all the data and adjust accordingly. Try it, and I bet it will run goofy for the first 30 seconds and level out. Well, depending on the mods you have.

Old 05-09-2007, 07:38 PM

Do you disconnect the positive terminal or both? I will try it as soon as I get home from work.

Old 05-09-2007, 07:47 PM
TruckForum Addict

Ionly disconnect the negative cable. I was told by my vocational school instructor (way back when),that you should always disconnect the negative cable first, then the positive, and re-connect the positive first, then the negative. He said if the negative was connected to the battery, and the positive hit ground, you could **** stuff up.

Old 05-10-2007, 02:36 AM

Very happy with the new exaust and cai gas mileage has definately improved, had to do a lot of driving last 2 days and mileage has gone from 17 all around driving to 20, for me thats a big improvement!

I disconnected my battery while I was installing the cai which i had not done on my other vehical, and there was about a 20 second period when i started the truck that the idle went up and down a few times and then settled down. Can't hurt to disconnect it, just to be sure.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 05-10-2007, 02:55 AM
TruckForum Addict

ORIGINAL: NINETY7

Very happy with the new exaust and cai gas mileage has definately improved, had to do a lot of driving last 2 days and mileage has gone from 17 all around driving to 20, for me thats a big improvement!

I disconnected my battery while I was installing the cai which i had not done on my other vehical, and there was about a 20 second period when i started the truck that the idle went up and down a few times and then settled down. Can't hurt to disconnect it, just to be sure.
[align=left][/align]
That's whatI was talkin' 'bout.