Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Caution, they Shimmy/wiggle

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 02:25 PM
Default Caution, they Shimmy/wiggle

Purchased a new 2008LTZ extended cab in March, they have balanced the wheels/tires 3 times, indexed the drive shaft and looked into other causes and it still has a vibration. Now they are telling me that they have a bulletin from GM that states that the vehicle has an inherant wiggle and the service department has a do not attempt to repair order. The dealer gave me the number for Customer Service, they were fairly nice and understanding. Thet actually agreed with me that the wiggle would be annoying and that my request was not out of line. My request was that if they cannot fix the wiggle, which will tend to wear out the tires and everything else on the truck faster, they should be replacing the vehicle, it seems to me like they should not be selling them in the first place. That was yesterday, today a regional rep called to basically tell me to get lost, they do not feel it is a safty concern so they will not be doing anything, including any attempt at repair. I have been told, buy the service guys, that some of the trucks wiggle more than others and that mine is not that bad. Can't imagine that. Anyway, anyone out there looking to buy should look elsewhere unless they enjoy not having a smooth ride.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:26 PM
Default RE: Caution, they Shimmy/wiggle

Pesonaly I'm not at all a fan of any Chevy truck 05' and newer. It seems like they have really let quality go as well as toughness, interior toughness,and looks. Sorry to hear about that, I would have been $hitting chickens.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:05 AM

I agree with quality going down. My dad's 02 has only had to replace the fuel pump this year compared to my 06 single cab. Ive have had the following repairs done and have had my truck 2years . Also I take very good care and am very careful with my truck.

1. Replaced steering shaft
2. Replaced radio (Cd's would get stuck and some of the lights stopped working)
3. Drive side window rattle
4. Speaker replaced, 2nd time I just bought after market. This is kind of my fault for listening to music so loud.

The following has not been repaired
1. Popping Noise from speakers and radio would show 12 o'clock when starting engine, happen about 5 times in total.
2. Bed seems to be wrapped, noticed when tailgate was closed there seem to be a big gap on the passenger side.
3. Oil and alternator gauges checked. would be below half way.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:41 AM

I dont think power has decreased, but looks sure have, i think from 2002 on up the looks just got terrible. I like the new ones, its just the way the headlights wrap around, I hate that look.

Old 05-30-2008, 02:10 AM

Whatever problems they have still doesn't stop me from wanting one. God, I wish I could somehow free up about $49,000... hmmm. *Looks around house*

I could take out a mortgage!

Old 05-30-2008, 06:15 AM

That shimmy/wiggle thing didnt just start though. I have a 2000 that does it and my roomate has a 2006 that does it. We also have a buddy with a 2006 that does it and a buddy with a 2003HD that does it. I dont think its hurting anything though because I have quite a few miles on mine and my tires wear just fine and no suspension problems yet! I dont know if yours (jerryg) is 4X4 or not (all of ours are)but you have to understand that your going to sacrifice some ride quality in ride when you add all that stuff to the front end. I dont think Ive ever ridden in a 4X4 that was smooth riding brand new or not!

Old 05-30-2008, 08:50 AM

ORIGINAL: Freemoe

I agree with quality going down. My dad's 02 has only had to replace the fuel pump this year compared to my 06 single cab. Ive have had the following repairs done and have had my truck 2years . Also I take very good care and am very careful with my truck.

1. Replaced steering shaft
2. Replaced radio (Cd's would get stuck and some of the lights stopped working)
3. Drive side window rattle
4. Speaker replaced, 2nd time I just bought after market. This is kind of my fault for listening to music so loud.

The following has not been repaired
1. Popping Noise from speakers and radio would show 12 o'clock when starting engine, happen about 5 times in total.
2. Bed seems to be wrapped, noticed when tailgate was closed there seem to be a big gap on the passenger side.
3. Oil and alternator gauges checked. would be below half way.

I got the same gap in my 2000. I can see daylight threw it when looking from the driverside of the bed.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:17 AM

I had the problem on my 91, but it was the idler arm, went thru three in 5 years on that damn thing. I can't remember, The newer ones don't have idlers anymore do they?

I like 88-2002, 02 to 06 is ok, I like the new Silverados, and Love the new GMCs

Old 05-30-2008, 10:15 AM

I hate the styling of the new chevy's. the GMC looks so much better.

the only gripe i really have about my 06 is the 3.42 gear ratio. it blows while towing and didnt affect the gas mileage any versus an identical 2003 chevy that my dad owned with the 3.73 rear end. plus i have electric fans and his didnt.

but i agree, with the Big Three in as much trouble as they are in you would think customer service would be a big thing on their minds.

Old 05-31-2008, 05:30 PM

As a wise man once told me "you bought a truck and you drive a truck not a Cadillac. Dont expect it ride or drive like one. If you wanted a smooth glassy ride or anyhting near that you shouldnt have bought a truck."

Just a thought.

Quick Reply: Caution, they Shimmy/wiggle