Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Cold Air Intakes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 01:00 PM
Default Cold Air Intakes?

What are the differences? K&n, aem, airaid, and spectre....? What makes one 100 bucks another 200 and another 300 when they all look the same. Any help? Thanks!

Old 08-19-2009, 08:56 AM

technically, they all do the same thing. production cost, advertising cost, and how much they think people will pay for it determines how much they will retail for. mainly get the one you like the best, 10 other people will have different opinions on what they think is the best.

i have seen people go to home depot and buy pvc pipe and create their own intakes, i personally wouldnt want to open my hood and show a POS like that to anyone. but then again i got my K&N off ebay for $100, i didnt pay the $300 retail.

its all in what you want and how much you want to spend.

good luck with your decision

Old 08-19-2009, 01:10 PM

I have the K&N FIPK. It's a great intake, strong and easy to clean. Some people swear by AFE or Injen because of the closed box the filter is in. I think the K&N does great at a decent price. Whatever you get, prepare for a noticable difference along with a whistle and deeper sounding engine tone. Good luck.

Old 08-19-2009, 02:01 PM

Thanks for the help. I know there are alot of products out there and alot of them look like they are exactly the same, honestly. But im not their manufacturer so i thought id ask. Thanks!

Old 08-19-2009, 02:06 PM

I'm with Chevycowboy, I have a K&N in mine and have been pleased with it. I was able to order mine from gmpartsdirect.com. You may want to look there. They have packages that are not much more than the single items, if you are looking for additional toys.

Old 08-19-2009, 05:18 PM

I was looking at the k&n but there so damn expensive. They average about 300 bucks and thats quite abit. I just did not know whether it was worth it or not. Another thing is, someone told me to buy the spectre that it did very well for their truck. Does anyone know anything about the spectre 9900 model? It cost about 150 dollars and its half the price of a k&n and "looks" exactly like it. Let me know.

Old 08-19-2009, 05:26 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

Get this one it will do everything the higher dollar ones will...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHEVY...=p4506.c0.m245

Old 08-19-2009, 07:07 PM

What makes that CAI better or as good as the others?

Old 08-19-2009, 08:10 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

The object of a CAI is to provide as much cold air as the engine can use. This particular one has the same size tube as the rest and has a heat shield to block hot engine air like the rest. Like previously mentioned in this thread people are willing to pay more for a K&N because it says K&N on it not necessarily because it is better. So K&N or the other companies will charge as much as people are willing to pay. Some may be made a little better than others, but the results are still the same as far as power gains and cold air provided to the motor. The bottom line is your motor can only inhale so much air so it gets to a point where more air doesn't mean more power unless you force feed it via a supercharger or turbo. I personally modified my stock air box and feel that it supplies all the cold air my motor can use. Just my opinion.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:33 PM

Thank you for saying that man. That is what i wanted to hear. I had a theory of that but questioned it. As for k&n you pay for the name and you pay for the millon mile warranty they offer. Anyone who offers a millon mile warranty has to charge more than others for the defective ones they have to pay for in the long run. I completely understand what your saying and thank you for your time. You helped so much!

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intakes?