Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Cold Air Intakes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 03:28 AM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Mr_Shamrock
I agree to a point and I am sure that K&N put alot into the research, but all the R&D in the world doesn't justify $50 per horsepower when it is only realized in the 5000 RPM range. There are certain vehicles that benefit better from CAI and others that are have good airflow from the factory. I used to be big into 5.0 mustangs and that motor benefits greatly from larger mass air flow sensors and throttle bodies with a good flowing filter. The GM trucks just don't seem to benefit that much. Now I am sure alot will disagree here, but if we are honest with ourselves we will admit there isn't much of a difference between a 5.3 with a CAI and a 5.3 with a good clean Fram in it (for example). Save your $300 we are in a recession for God's sake <---Just kidding I am just as guilty as most of you of spending WAY to much on my vehicles. What it boils down to is we are still living in a free country (I think) so buy what makes you feel good and gives you something to talk/argue about while having a cold one with friends!!!!!
If you notice how big the stock air intake tube and the mass air sensor are compared to a ford trucks intake, big difference. Installing a CAI on these motors is not to merely increase the cfm of air entering the engine, but to smooth out the flow. More air meaning more power is half right, more air needs more fuel. So installing A CAI alone will not yield big numbers of power, but its the first link in a chain. These LS based truck motors were designed very well and essentially made for towing, but also for top end power, best of both worlds. Running these motors down the highway at 3k rpm's for a long period of time, you might think it would be harmful, but IMO, they can handle it and still smile at ya!!
I see K&N working great, but your just paying for name brand. Is Silverado better than Sierra??? They are built the same, parts interchangeable, just different competing names. Its all the pyramid effect!!
So I see shamrocks and some other's points, by merely sayin BE SPONTANEOUS. Seeing a box quoting 25 HP for the product might get us a little excited, but is it the best bang for the buck?? Is what we need to ask ourselves.