Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold Air Intakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 10:30 PM
Default Cold Air Intakes

Hey gotta 2007 classic with a 4.8 and want to add some power and hopefully a little mileage. Are all cai pretty close? Has anyone used the S&B? It look kinda like a Volant but alittle cheaper. I was thinking S&B, Volant or maybe K&N. Any opinions appreciated. thanks.

Old 02-04-2007, 12:41 AM
Default RE: Cold Air Intakes

From what I have been told they all have similar results. I love the Volant due to it is a completely closed system (most others depend on the hood to create the top seal), and it has been great for me. I have never testeed any other personally. I am not familiar with S&B though.

Old 02-04-2007, 11:41 AM

The S&B has a closed box design also and it cheaper I believe, although I like the volant because you can add a cold air scoop later. But I'm not sure its worth the extra price.

Old 02-04-2007, 11:42 AM

did you see much gain with your volant?

Old 02-05-2007, 12:26 AM

I added my volant as well as my headers at the same time so it is hard to say which gave the most increase. I wanted to do it sepreately and test it, but due to the header temp at the time and lack of time to get it done Iwas not able. The combo increase was definately noticable in feel, sound, and timing by about 1/2 - 3/4 second 0-60 (TQ management probably limited this), more on 45-65, and it sounds great.

Old 02-17-2007, 05:13 PM

Im in the same boat as far as finding what CAI to buy.

I have a 2005 Crew Z71 5.3 vortec V8, just bought a Banks Exhaust system which is coming this friday(cant wait) if you have any suggestions let me know also

Old 02-17-2007, 06:19 PM

My personal opinion is to stay away from all the "polished finish" CAI. Yes they look pretty under the hood, but the material the material absorbs heat like crazy, which is not a good thing when you're trying to cool the air coming in. I would stick with the plastic because since it does not absorb heat that well. On my previous trucks I've used K&N and AEM Brute Force. Both were not too bad, and I notice slight gains. The AEM was the polished finish and it got pretty hot when running for along time. I just spend about 1400 dollars in performance parts last night and one of my purchases was a Granatelli CAI. I researched long and hard and talked to a lot of experts and they said that Grantelli makes great fantastic products. In addition, there mass air flow sensor is in my opinion the best you can get on the market. Anyway, I'll let you know what kind of gains I get when I put my Granatelli on. Good luck in your decision.

Old 02-17-2007, 08:07 PM

SC_CHEVY_LOVER you are right on the point.......the intakes of all types have been measured before, and most intakes are almost exactly the same in gains and what not......but the metal tubing created by most companies such as K&Nor AEMare NOTORIOUS for getting your intake temps to jump pretty nasty. I am a mechanic freak, and have tried and tested ALOT of things in my life....now also you should know that filters do make a difference, as well as if the filter is shrouded or not. You MUST have a shroud, it is a big deal, for the simple fact that hot air in your engine bay that surrounds an unshielded filter is just as bad as having a metal intake tubing. Always shroud it, because the shroud keeps the cooler air from outside pushed into your filter. Now as for filters,I have seen filters make a little bit of difference, and if you nickle and dime it with supporting mods, you can free up alot of horsepower. Now I recommend using either a Granatelli cold air or an Airaid intake, they have performed the best, and I'veownedand used several different types, and they seem to work the best. I hope the info helps, and good luck on finding the intake!

Old 02-17-2007, 08:55 PM

Right on BigTex!! Couldn't had said it better myself!