Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Common Chevy & GMC Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 11:52 PM
TruckForum Addict
Default tailgate latch pins t

every chevy truck i have ever owned or used or worked with or on
the tailgate latch handle breaks due to the cheap plastic clips holding the rods on causein it to not open
and then you have to use pliers to pinch them together to get them to work
solution cheap and easy jb weld them in there or tac weld them in there
or go to lmc and order the one finger latch handle its amazing how light it will feel after that

Old 05-26-2011, 09:54 PM
Default More For The Common Repair List

Common Items From What I Hear From Others (I have had all of the below, too):

Transfer Case Oil Pump Rubbing A Hole In The Rear Half Of The Case (All Years?)
Electric Mirror Switch 1999NBS-2007 (Face Up On Arm Rest- Water Gets In & They Cook To Death)
Early Rocker Panel Rust 1999NBS-2007 (insanely stupid design)
Lower Door Skin Rust (OK, that's probably every truck & car in the salt using world)
Clean The ABS Sensors At Least Once Per Year 1999-???(Removing Hubs For Access To Un-Screw. Thanks for making it easy to cope with your bad design GM!)
Door Hinge Bushings Disintegrating (1999NBS-??)

Old 06-07-2011, 10:40 PM
RCM

Ha tailgate, recirculating bearing in stearing columb , 2 4l60e , rear diff , fuel pump more than once , front ball joints, alternater, fanclutch, and the list goes on

Old 06-09-2011, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Mr_Shamrock
I thought it might be helpful if we made a list of things that we all know are common flaws and are prone to go wrong. This really should be a sticky in my opinion. How do you make a sticky? Anyway here is a starting list...

1999 and later fuel pumps - get louder and eventually wear out especially if constantly ran under 1/4 tank of gas.

1999 and later fuel level senders - gas guage goes back and forth from "E" to what you actually have in the tank

1999 and later throttle bodies getting a carbon build up and idle gets affected

1999 and later 4X4 Switches go bad frequently - if you can solder you can open them up and repair them though

1996-Early 1999 intake gaskets leaking - you don't want to know how many of these I've done!

1996-Early 1999 spider injection leaking and making for hard starts

OK I started it...lets hear what you have had happen repeatedly!
1994 was the first year for the EFI 6.5 Diesel Engines and from the start they seemed plagued with driveability problems and Jim's truck was no exception. The serious problems such as; stalling, hesitation, bucking, effected performance and safety. Factory support seemed nil and the dealers seemed to not understand the problems and appeared to have little desire to learn about or service them, and aftermarket support was virtually nonexistent.

Old 06-11-2011, 08:52 AM

2000 Silverado (221,000 miles, owned since new)
Radio lights out
front speakers buzzing
gas gauge bounces F to E and back
Driver side electric mirror not working (motor runs but mirror doesn't move)
Hard starting
drop in gas mileage

In reality I have absolutely no complaints about the truck!

Old 06-24-2011, 04:25 PM
Default Help With Chevy Frame Beaming

I recently came across some topics about frame beaming and from what I've read, it describes the exact symptoms for the issue I've had with my truck since purchased brand new almost 5yrs ago (2007 Silverado 1500 LS crew cab 46K miles). Taken it back to dealer about 4 times and I stopped trying to get this fixed after fourth time as it's always an inconvenience having to give up transportation for a day or two and instead I tried getting used to the vabration but it's very annoying and embarrasing at times when I have collegues riding with me. So far the chevy dealer has offered no real fix or nothing that even rhymes with "frame beaming" has ever been mentioned to me by the service reps/techs. Just a simple tire rotation, balancing, alingment, etc... is all they've done. Now I'm trying to find out as much as I can regarding this issue or anyone that may have some useful feedback, a solution or fix for this issue. Thanks!

Old 06-25-2011, 10:35 AM

What is "frame Beaming" and what are the symptoms? I've never heard of it, before.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by EasyMoney32
I recently came across some topics about frame beaming and from what I've read, it describes the exact symptoms for the issue I've had with my truck since purchased brand new almost 5yrs ago (2007 Silverado 1500 LS crew cab 46K miles). Taken it back to dealer about 4 times and I stopped trying to get this fixed after fourth time as it's always an inconvenience having to give up transportation for a day or two and instead I tried getting used to the vabration but it's very annoying and embarrasing at times when I have collegues riding with me. So far the chevy dealer has offered no real fix or nothing that even rhymes with "frame beaming" has ever been mentioned to me by the service reps/techs. Just a simple tire rotation, balancing, alingment, etc... is all they've done. Now I'm trying to find out as much as I can regarding this issue or anyone that may have some useful feedback, a solution or fix for this issue. Thanks!
I’ll be sending you a PM for more details. Thanks!

Laura

GM Customer Service

Old 06-28-2011, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Mr_Shamrock
All year tailgate support cables breaking
The local Chevy dealer replaced the cables on my 2000 Silverado for free, long after warranty expired. It doesn't hurt to ask.

Cold Start Piston Slap in later Vortec's - does your truck sound like it's knocking in the morning or when it hasn't been started in a while? GM says don't worry about it. It won't hurt anything! WHAT!?!?!?!
My 2000 4.8L has made the slap sound as long as I've owned it. Purchased new. Presently it has 221,000 plus miles on it. Still a daily driver.
I was told the same thing, that it won't hurt anything. So far it's been 11 years of of piston slap and Mobil One every 3K miles or so, and it seems like they were right. lol

My 2008 5.3L does it too, but not nearly as loudly.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:59 PM

I have a 92 Silverado Z71 with a manual transmission, and when it warms up, the clutch drops to the floor and I have to pump it to get it to work again

Quick Reply: Common Chevy & GMC Issues