Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Common Chevy & GMC Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 01:55 PM

I have a 93 4x4 4.3 5speed.

Sticky hood latch, the bugger opens only on the second try every time, sometimes have to bang on hood
4x4 actuator went out
fuel pump went out... twice
coolant hose going into rear of block rusted out and started leaking
rear axle seal went out contaminating drum brakes
tail gate latch is falling apart. the plastic housing fell apart and is now missing.
paint on hood is oxidized bad and is peeling off. the clear coat is peeling off on the rear quarter panels.
gas gauge bounces around when low on gas
Visor elastic stretches out
seat belt handle housing broke so the internals of the seat belt connector are bare.
mirrors suck won't stay in place
passenger door arm rest fell of
glove compartment wont stay closed when going down dirt roads
driver side power lock doesn't lock the door all the way. always have to manually push down the lock the rest of the way.
power window needs help going all the way up
driver door doesnt latch all the way unless it is slammed hard. slamming the door causes the window tracks to be messed up even more. slamming the door also caused the arm rest to be ripped off.
im sure there are more just can't think of them all right now.

most of these I borrowed from other members but do have them occurring myself.Sure it has a few minor problems but still would rather have it over any other brand of truck. Sorta wish I got the v8. I got the v6 for mileage and it sucks. I only get 14 mpg. I am going to look into EGR valve and see if that is the problem.

Last edited by lvrider; 02-04-2011 at 12:27 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:23 PM

Ha....my 99 has had quite a few of those issues... But it works hard and I don't mind fixing it

Old 12-04-2010, 04:40 PM

5 Speed stick- The reverse gear no longer turns reverse lights on. I have had 2 1994, 96 where I had to install a on off switch on the dash for the lights.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:35 PM
Beginner

Castech heads on silverado 5.3. Cracked at 72k. Cracked just where they said they would. I have read many posts about this. I wound up changing motors without the castech heads. So chalk up another motor in the garbage.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:37 PM
Red face i have one

i have a 99 chevy suburban got it in feb 2010 when it is cold it feels like i lose control of the steering for an instant. I looked online and found out it was called intermintent steering lose. Read that this has been a problem. One guy said his friend had a serious accident totaling out the suburban. I have been lucky so far. Just wanted to let people know about this havent seen it posted. As far as my suburban i love it. Only other problem is the door handels.

Old 01-16-2011, 04:17 PM

so i have a 90 gmc sierra 1/2 ton, i blew the non vortec 5.7 and swapped in a 78 z28 camaro motor. everything was running just fine and then it started knocking like a bent lifter, so i put some lucas stabilizer in it and that didi not help. so right now the truck is just sitting will not turn over or anything. when i pulled my starter out to replace it the was metal cut away from the starter. so does that mean that it would have to do with the flywheel????

Old 01-30-2011, 11:18 AM

89 Silverado, gear select indicator does not work. Headlights work whenever (wiring all over this truck is ****ty).

Old 01-31-2011, 07:16 PM

Hey - I have a few for 1989's 2500's

- Oil gauge issues, the oil pressure gauge bounces continually and reads off.
- Tail light mounting and interior ckt board failures,
- Reverse light failures - switch on transmission.
- Axel seal failures, leading to brake issues.
- Glove box that refuses to close or stay closed.
- Head liner de-laminates from cardboard body (nice)

Those are just a few

Old 02-21-2011, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by chrisbmo2000
Heres a blast from the past.....................1st generation body style (70-80s) hoods bend when the hood hinges are not taken care of and greased.
i couldnt agree more had my first truck do that, a gmc sierra classic, fixed it by laying two old comfortors on garage floor, lay hood down upside down and used weight to put pressure on the for corners, i cut a template out of cardboard using a friends hood to get the right contour, and welded rebar on the bottom side, and fixed that prob, the main causes are not keeping the hinges greased, and the fact that gm decided the make divots in the 3 main backbones of the hood about halfway from front and back,
gm research at its finest.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:59 AM

on my 99 silerado, and countless friends trucks,

tailgate hande sticks and then after you try real hard one time it snaps,
abs light has been on for about a year now and i had it checked, and nothing is wrongwith the brakes and sensors are all new
SEL has been on forever, keeps throwing catalytic converter codes, replaced them and reset computer still there so changed 4 o2 sensors, SEL is still there
the dash lights are gone, fixed with a set of s touring brand blue leds that plug in to cig lighter and they ve done better than the original dashlights ever have,
fuel gauge is stuck just past the full mark, when at half tank it moves to the tick mark indicating full,
the light up odometers, trip meters and gear selector light, (on the newer 99's that is digital just below tach and speedo) worked the first 2 weeks i owned the truck, and never worked since, except for completely random times, (i suspect a loose wire in the cluster but would rather just count the clicks the gear shif makes to get in correct gear)
power locks work on one side of truck but not the other and have to manually lock it everytime
alternators just going out completely and having to drive home at night with very dim lights and no gauges,
tow haul not working at all.
ac refrigerant running low and ac compressor kicking on and off will cause it to eventually burn its self up
and who knows all what else will pop up
finally bought myself a haynes manual and havent had a problem fixing things myself
but one thing i really dont get are the things on the intake that dont go anywhere, what are those for? i was going to buy a k&n intake tube but didnt have the money so i cut off the things that are dead ends on the intake and dont have any sensors, and my truck has been running way better ever since and u can hear it sucking in air now too. i kinda like that sound too.

Quick Reply: Common Chevy & GMC Issues