Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Comparison question for opinions

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 10:17 AM
Beginner
Default Comparison question for opinions

I'm restoring a 79 Jeep Cherokee Widetrack, and no it's not a GM, but I do plan to use a GM drivetrain in it and have some questions about that. It will be a daily driver, not a hardcore 4x4 for offroad use. Here is my dilemma.

I have been planning on using a late model ('04 if I can find it) 5.3L with a 4L60E and a NP241C transfer case. The 5.3 would come with the wiring harness set up to go to power and ground and be plug and play. All pumps, cruise and the fly by wire come with it. I thought this was a good set up for a transplant drivetrain and would give me the best fuel mileage. It was however NOT cheap, about $7K all in.

However, I was just given a 1994 GMC Sierra, 3/4 ton 4x4. It is not running, but I'm sure with a long block it could be and the tranny/transfer case were working when parked. It has all the parts I need to do the heart transplant, except the motor mounts!

Here is the question, should stick with my original plan or go with the larger 5.7?

I think I can save money using the 94 Sierra heart for the transplant, but will it be more costly due to fuel efficiency and not worth it?

I'm sure there will be a number of comments/questions that come up, and I look forward to it, as I really need some help. Thanks.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:01 PM

Stick with the 04 5.3L game plan, you will be much happier in the long run.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:52 PM
TruckForum Addict

Yeah I'd go with the 5.3. The 5.7 is an indestructible engine, but is heavier and considerably behind the times as far as technology goes. Your power and fuel efficiency will be better with the 5.3. Plus you sunk a big chunk of cash into that 5.3 deal already. Fix up the chevy and sell it, or better yet, make the Jeep your daily driver and turn the chevy into a hardcore muddin' truck! 6" suspension lift, 3" body lift, HUGE ties, skit plates, winch ... you know, the works

Pictures of these rides you got? Jeep and truck? Also, WELCOME to the forums!

Old 12-18-2012, 09:35 AM
Administrator

I'm with the previous post too.
Are you bolting this up to the jeep's chassis? or is it a body transfer to the chev chassis and drive train?

Old 12-18-2012, 10:17 AM
Beginner

I am using the Jeep frame. There is ample room under the hood, and I want a more reliable drive train with the ability to take it to any mechanic and say it's a XXXX year model Chevy fix it.

I really haven't spent any money on the 5.3L as of yet, but I'm getting ready to.

I didn't want to use the 94 5.7L, but the tranny/T-case are attractive as they were both working fine when the motor died. It's not running and the people who have it "tried" to fix it, so it's in worse shape now.

I thought there was a Gen 3 - 5.7L like the 5.3 I've been looking at. If there is a Gen 3 - 5.7, that is what I'm thinking about going back with, using the 94 4l80 and the T-case(which I don't know what they were using that year and I've not found the most logical choice on line and I don't have the VIN yet to run it down through a dealer).

That set up would save some money because if I go with the 5.3 I'll need a tranny, T-case and shifter, as well as a number of other things, like cruise contro, fan, harness and some other stuff this truck has on it if I use the 5.7 stuff.

If the truck was in better shape I liked the idea of getting it running and sell it, but since there is no title and it's really ratty - a deer lease truck in South Texas, so that won't work.

If you have a lead on ready to wire up motors, etc, I'd like to know. Thanks!

Old 12-26-2012, 08:47 AM

I would stick with the 5.3. I have one in my truck, and I pull a good 22 MPG out of it.