Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cone air filter

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 03:40 PM
Default Cone air filter

Anyone here tried using a cone type air filter on the end of the MAF, replacing the actual air box, and descreening the MAF? I was thinking of trying this as a lower cost option, rather than buying a cold air intake.A cone air filter can be had for about $30, and the descreening is free. Any thoughts?

Old 01-13-2008, 04:17 PM
Default RE: Cone air filter

Yeah, check out the link... https://www.truckforums.com/m_27778/tm.htm

Old 01-13-2008, 04:25 PM
TruckForum Addict

The problem is you have no mount for it so it will just be hangin down and beating on stuff as you drive around. I drove a Lancer OZ around like that for a while and the filter started rubbing on stuff and eventually almost rubbed a hole through the filter. If you can find a way to make it stay still and keep the filter from rubbing something you'll be set though.

If you do those and it works out real good let us know. I may try it.

Old 01-13-2008, 04:53 PM

zip ties

Old 01-13-2008, 08:51 PM

I was thinking of building a box with a u shaped cutout on the filter side. Also, I was gonna use the stock air tube from the TB and just attach a filter to the MAF, instead of a whole replacement tube. I'll do it and post some pics when I am done. Thanks for the input.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:35 AM

Best bang for the buck from my research. A K&N air filter, Airaid Intake tube, descreened MAF, and TBS. You technically can't make use of any more air than that without a custom or dyno tune. Too much air will make the timing retard enough that it will actually decrease hp and tq 9 out of 10 times.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:36 AM

I was thinking of building my own ram air let me know how you build youre box.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:37 AM

Custom box would be sweet. You at least need a good heat sheild but a custom box would be better.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:49 AM

I was thinking about using some kind of duck work and putting that shinny silver stuff that looks like foil around it. Also I want to run air ducks up from the bumper maybe from were the recovery hooks are

Old 01-14-2008, 10:03 AM

Don't use stuff thats too flimsey. You'll never keep it together. The hooks would be the best place to put them. What year is your truck? I have a 99 and there are these little vents in the bumper that I was thinking about placing a scoop behind and running a duct to the intake. (Looks like two recesses in the black part of the bumper. The plastic plates can be removed and there are too vents underneith).

Quick Reply: Cone air filter