Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Convert your truck to run on WATER

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 11:42 AM
Default RE: Convert your truck to run on WATER

no your totally right!! its a huge conspiracy that "corporate america" is running on us! thank you for enlightening me on this situation...you said that they comp doesnt want it to go corporate meaning the auto manuf want it then you said the auto manuf dont want it...umm why on earth would a car comp not want this? if gm got their hands on this 30-70% thei profits would soar to the roof...they are already employing a high gas mileage, low emissions strategy to their future (I.e. their volt cars, etc.). SO yes they do want it. If they got it, it would be a win win for the car comps and consumers. And im really interested to find out where the meeting between car comps and the oil industry execs are taking place...id really like to listen to one of em. maybe they are in batman's bat cave? THEY ARE NOT CONSPIRING TO SCREW YOU ME AND OUR NEIGHBORS.

ford and GM ar4e fighting it because increasing mpg standards are very costly to production...ford and gm are losing an uphill battle as it is. they last thing they need are more restrctions that comps like toyota etc dont have. Dont be surprised to see gm and ford go out within the next 30 years....unless something drastic happens.

Im not tryin to say the kit is stupid...in fact I would LOVE for it to work so I can do it myself. I just sayin your conspiracy theory is a bit out of touch and ridiculous.

Old 07-04-2008, 12:58 PM

Water, I'm not sold on it. Electric is another subject. The Toyota Prius, yes I know it's ugly, is a start towards an all electric auto. The battery can run the car up to 40 mph, before the gas kicks in. If someone can invent a better battery, we are on the way. The technology and the brains are out there to do this, but will oil companies allow it? The conspiracy theory may be right.

Old 07-05-2008, 06:55 PM

lmao I wish!

Old 07-07-2008, 09:14 AM

When the Geo is up and running these are my plans for my baby:

* Coat intake tube with black insualtion (spray on) to keep it cooler.
* Cleaning my air filter (K&N).
* Going on ebay and buying a $50 hydrogen unit and putting it on my truck.
* Cutting fuel trims down and advancing my timing for the hydrogen.
* Dialing in the tune on my truck and testing my MPG regualrly.

Ideally it is not worth it on some vehicles because the PDM/ECU does not know how to adjust fuel trims when it senses the additional water and leaner mixture in the exhaust gases. Most of the time the PCM/ECU will add more fuel to the engine, making it bog down and further killing your MPG. BUT! If you lean out the fuel manually with a programmer or a "MAF Module" and advance the timing, SUPPOSEDLY you will get a 30-35% increase on a GM LS motor and 40-45% inccrease on a diesel. This is actual info from people who have tried at and experimented with tuning there vehicles. One guy with an 03 sierra says he got 30 some MPG but I dunno if I buy that.

If the hydrogen unit works I am buying another one for the Geo from the same person. I figure:

A. If it works I spent $50 which I will gain back in a month or so.
B. If it works a little bit I'll just throw it on the Geo. A 2% gain in MPG on a 30 MPG car is worth it to me.
C. If its totally bunk, even with my modifications and experimenting, all you guys will be the first to know!

Old 07-07-2008, 08:54 PM

Just to add to the discussion, chevy is planning on producing a similare model to the prius. But you will be able to plug it in and drive the first 40 MILES without the gas motor even coming on! I think it was mentioned in this thread, but it needed to get explained a but more. (for the slow guys like me) (Damn medications that I am on make it hard to think!)

Old 07-08-2008, 12:03 PM

you said that they comp doesn’t want it to go corporate meaning the auto manuf want it then you said the auto manuf dont want it...umm why on earth would a car comp not want this? if gm got their hands on this 30-70% thei profits would soar to the roof...
Because #1 it’s not a bulletproof solution, your average Joe will get ticked when he has to go back to the dealer every 10-12 months for a new unit which the dealership will charge an arm and a leg for. (The internal metal parts wear out in one year roughly).
#2 the technology is not "safe" as of yet, BMW has been experimenting with pure hydrogen to run their cars and its working. They are out to prove a point. Why don't U.S. car companies research this, well that brings me to number 3?
#3 just like politics, oil companies have their hands in the automotive industry too. You don't think there is a kickback for producing 14-16 MPG trucks in the US? Hey if the president gets some why wouldn't the CEO of Ford, GM, ect..?
#4 Just like Linux and shareware, the technology is open to the public. You can't market a product effectively with the technology being so easily produced by the weekend hobbyist.
#5 Car companies don't go out of there way to do anymore than they have to when it comes to certain technology. Hence GM with the TQM, just build a better damn transmission!!!
#6 Why do the research when you can steal it? Want to make the technology work? I bet $100 that Ford will steel it off BMW when it is perfected, then so on down the line with Toyota, GM, Dodge.
#7 GM already has time and money invested in E85 which has yet to be openly available in some areas. Besides, if GM does have something in the works, it will take forever before we see it anyway. E85 came about long after Fords were built with the ability to run alternative fuels like ethanol without being modified.
#8 most people don't really care too much about this technology, even if they did they would be weary to try it out unless it was safe and popular. Example: If new technology was so easily accepted than the Tucker would have been #4 big car company in the US despite the other "Big 3" interfering.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:11 PM
Beginner

This has already been Busted on Mythbusters. They bought one of these kits and it did not work.

Old 07-12-2008, 07:47 PM

yeah, they did alot of the car mpg myths, i really suggest everyone take a loom at it....they did a really good job and it failed miserably

Old 07-12-2008, 08:42 PM

I was surprised to see that drafting behind a truck on the freeway was pretty good for increasing mpg. In fact, I took the liberty of trying it and I actually saw something close to 20% better economy. Suffice it to say that when there's a truck, look behind it and you'll find me.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:20 AM

I wouldn't take the chance of getting 90% better economy by staying 2ft behind the truck though

Quick Reply: Convert your truck to run on WATER