Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

couple problems 2004 sierra 1500

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 01:17 AM
Default couple problems 2004 sierra 1500

ok, just bought a 2004 1500 on friday, already having some issues

#1) when the headlights are on, driving normally at varying speeds, for a quick second the battery light, the key lock light, and the low gas light will flash on, the gas needle dips down, the radio gets a little quieter. it only happens for a quick second, then all returns to normal. the engine does not die (in fact I can accelerate while it's doing this) I had autozone test out the battery and alternator while on the truck, the machine says everything is fine but I suspect otherwise. Again, it's only with the headlights on, does not have a problem during the day. another possible symptom is that the turn signals in the mirrors have a brief but regular flash, both at the same time. Please Help!

#2) ABS light, and brake service warning message coming on. went to a brake shop today to have them read the code, they came back and said it's the aftermarket 22inch rims and not recalibrating the computer. they charged me no $$$ to test it, I also asked them to look at the rear pads as they look lower than the front, and I'm about to make a long trip, they said they were fine, and that everything else checks out fine. again, no charge, but problem not solved. Went to Les Schwab where the dealer purchased the rims and tires less that 200 miles ago, they said the brake place is crazy, they put 22's and 24's on these trucks all the time and never have to recalibrate anything. but then again on the way home, the chime dings a million times, the abs and brake lights are on, and the brake service warning. UGH!

If you can help with either I would really appreciate it. I'm about to take a 1900 mile trip, and would like these things sorted out before I go. THANKS!

Old 10-13-2009, 02:25 AM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

I heard someone on this forum say something like what happening with his truck. His needles and lights were kinda coo coo every once in a while. I think he had a short in the guage cluster somewhere. So im thinkin for sure its the wiring in the dash somewhere simply because the engine or transmission is not affected when it does it. If you know a good ectrical shop there then I would go ask them if they can diagnose it.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:04 AM

Thanks for the reply. He's never really had trouble w/ gauges and lights. Just that stuborn 4x4 switch. If I remember correctly, the switch was replaced last year, now the actuator motor.
He got the truck back yesterday and said the shop told him the pitman arms did nead grease badly, but the slight play is normal. He also said the grease may have taken care of the "rough" steering. Not sure yet.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:04 PM

looks like the above reply is to the wrong thread

Anyways, I replaced my alternator last night, my problems under #1 went away so far. The thing is that both the tester that you can use while the alternator is in the truck, and the bench tester inside said it was good. I replaced it cause it was only $150 and the old one was already out of the truck for testing...

Old 10-15-2009, 12:23 PM

update, Alternator did not solve the issue