Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

De-Sceened MAF Questions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 05:39 PM
TruckForum Addict
Default RE: De-Sceened MAF Questions.

Correct. And the MAF connector... otherwise you won't take it very far, LOL. The screen is there to help "stabalize" the air flow so that the MAF gets a more accurate reading. Atleast that's the engineering answer. In reality most people that have them in most performance vehicles remove them. The aftermarket MAF's don't come with them so that should tell you all you need to know right there.

And the ACDelco air filter is no better than an el' cheapo filter from wal-mart. Better off getting a K&N for sure. They make a spray cleaner for MAF's to clean any dirt or filter oil off of them so you don't have to worry about that.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:34 PM

Actually the aftermarket mafs even come with the screen my granatelli maf has a screen.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:58 PM
TruckForum Addict

They advertise them without a screen in them.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:58 PM

i've always thought they didn't... they never have a screen in the pictures

Old 01-17-2008, 01:20 AM

I thought the same thing u can't ever see it in the pictures but the screen is there.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:26 AM

weird... anyway on the maf screen removal, i used a flathead and just pried one edge off and then just peeled it off... just watch the little wires like smoke said

Old 01-17-2008, 02:15 PM

Once I sell the tires and rims that came off my totaled Durango I plan on buying the K&N FIPK II so there will be no air box to cut open. In looking at it, there is a thick rubber/plastic panel, flap, whatever, behind the the headlight assembly/right in front of the air box. What if you used a panel tool so you didn't tear it and took it right out. There is also a thinner flap that runs along that side of the radiator. It might go behind the radiator so it might be difficult to remove but what about rolling it back to open up that area too? Wouldn't that let more air straight through the front end right where the open air K&N element would be? I did a similar thing to the Durango, gave the air a straight shot through the grill at the filter. This wouldn't be quite as open as the Durango but I wonder if it would still let the air in easier. What do you guys think?

Old 01-17-2008, 09:58 PM
TruckForum Addict

I think I know what flap your talking about and I think on my Sierra it covers up the edge of the radiator. Not sure though. If you look at it and it does cover up the side of the radiator it would probably be better to leave it alone so your not allowing more hot air from the radiator to blow into your intake.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:17 AM

I'm not staring right at it so it's difficult to know if I'm describing it right. It runs up and down the side or the radiator tank. From what I can see, folding it back would just let air come past the side of the radiator into the engine compartment, which would presumably let it get to the open air filter element. This just popped in my head, if I go with the K&N this opening might be on the outside of the hot air dam or box that comes with the K&N so the air might not get to the filter anyway. I still wonder about the thicker piece in back of the headlight assembly, it is straight in front of where the filter element would be.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:36 AM
TruckForum Addict

See if you can take some pics of that. Mine doesn't have anything like that behind the headlight. It won't bother it for now cause the factory intake sucks air in from the fender but when you stick on a FIPK that'll probably reduce your potential gains quite a bit.

Quick Reply: De-Sceened MAF Questions.