Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

DIY RAM AIR/ COLD AIR

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 12:36 AM
Default RE: DIY RAM AIR/ COLD AIR

the bottle thing is not a bad idea but i think it might get a little flimsy once it gets hot. I could have made it a dual intake but, the cost of the "t" instead of the elbow was almost double. plus the filter is 6" around. as far as the exhaust goes, it is a little quieter and it now has a more hollow sound to it. it sounds like it has an echo almost. not bad just alittle different. the mid range power and throttle response is surprising but i know it can be better.

there is definitely enough room for a twin turbo setup in the engine bay, justnot in my wallet!

Old 01-26-2008, 09:12 AM

I see you used the flex pipe, but do you think smooth pipe would be better? Or is that the plan after you find the best location? Also, my volant box has an opening in the bottom for ram air, and I was thinking baout sealing the 2 stock holes so as not to lose the pressure affect. Any plugs available for those? Like the drain plugs for floor in a jeep?

Old 01-26-2008, 04:09 PM

I don't know about the volant plugs but i pretty much shoped in every dept at home depot for parts.yes you're right, iwill be moving to a solid pipe as soon as i find the best location.

Old 01-27-2008, 08:23 AM

sorry I didn't say that clearly, I was looking to close the 2 stock holes in the fender.

Old 01-27-2008, 11:55 AM

man, i have no idea. sorry

Old 01-28-2008, 07:48 PM
TruckForum Addict

Smoke, I'd say get some flat plastic and RTV and sealthem up.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:14 PM

I think im going to make a scoop for mine the only thing is I dont know much about body work. Im going to bend it up paint it and see what it looks like. Anything new Popo on youre project? Have you moved the intake tube around?

Old 01-31-2008, 10:15 AM

yeah sorry, i'v been busy.

I decided to move my fog lights in to the opening where the tow hooks are and then bolt the scoop into the hole where the fogs were. then i cut a hole in the factory plate that the stock air box sits on. i then ran the flex tube straight down to the scoop. there is almost no angle in the tube now and the flow has increased greatly. i don't think i will worry about a new supply method because when i straigtened out the flex tube it doesn't have very much resistance now. i am still working on a mpg estimate but as for seat of the pants gain, it absolutley helped.when i stand on it above 50 mph it really comes to life! and the cold air factor seems to have helpedthe low end a little.

i will post the last pics when i get theinserts for the holes in the bumper painted and mounted.