Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Easiest rig to fix up

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 11:45 AM
Default Easiest rig to fix up

Hi all, I've been working with my dad to restore his '79 C10 and I'm having a good time doing it....

I got to thinking ...I'd like to start a project with my son's ...

I like the looks of the 61 and 62's (not the apache ...that thing is hideous looking!)....any positives/negatives? I'm most likely going to build a street rod ... Do these years have large enough engine compartments to work in? Will a 454 drop in w/out having doing trimming ....etc etc

Thanks!

Old 10-03-2007, 02:04 PM
Default RE: Easiest rig to fix up

I like those trucks(agree about the Apache, too!). I looked up some pics online and what I found appeared to have enough room for a big block... A few that I found had small blocks in them, and looked like there was enough room to do it without trimming (might need some blockhugger headers, though!).

Old 10-03-2007, 03:35 PM

my mom has a 64 and the engine compartment is pretty big the only problem is the radiator area is smaller so you might have to trim to allow a bigger radiator.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:22 AM

Those years you could put a pontiac motor in there with room to spare(they used to be wider than a bowtie). Try and find one with the spring and ladder rear suspension instead of leaf springs if you're building a street rod, just an opinion.

Old 10-07-2007, 08:16 PM

Agreed...that is a cool setup. That is the basis of the modern day NASCAR setup. The father of a friend of mine, has a mid 60's chassis with a 327, 4 spd, and a VW beetle body on it. It is freakin' awesome. Wish I had some pics of it, it's a site to see(and runs like a scalded dog for obvious reasons).

Old 10-07-2007, 09:34 PM

Those trucks are bad *** i was looking to get one when i was looking for my drag truck. I ended up getting a 67 c10 instead and it has the spring and ladder rear suspension which if your gonna rod the truck this is definately the rear susp set up you want to look for. The only real big problem with those years is parts they are not as plentyfull for those years for some reason as they are for all the other chevy trucks so that will be your only problem. The big block will fit no problem and you shouldnt have to get huggers cuz i have a 468 in mine and i don't and you'll still be able to climb in the bay and sit on the fender to work on it And as for the radiator ordeal just do a search on google for alluminum race radiators, which are 3" all alluminum radiators, for your specific year and get dual electric fans and you'll be fine.