Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Edjumicate me: Why install an aftermarket ignition?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 11:50 AM
Default Edjumicate me: Why install an aftermarket ignition?

Why would someone need an aftermarket ignigtion? Is it only for heavily modded engines ...if so, at what point should someone look at thinking about swapping ignitions ...what are the symptoms?

If you swap ignition systems, then should one also swap alternators, plugs, etc?

Sorry, just trying to learn.

Old 09-11-2007, 01:04 PM
Default RE: Edjumicate me: Why install an aftermarket ignition?

If you update your ingition system, you should also update everything after that. That means the plugs wires and so on depending on the vehicle. The reason would be a bigger longer stronger spark. Mainly if you are on a forced indution system and are forcing more air and fuel, mainly the fuel into the engine. Drag racers have fully modified engines and are running two plugs per cylinder and stand alone ignitions for each. Nascar and cars like that are running back up ignition systems that are basically wired in together so that if one fails they have the back up system. Basically faster stronger and longer more reliable spark. That is the reason.

Old 09-11-2007, 01:50 PM

So, other than for the street and pro-racers, there is no real benefit to doing this mod.

Old 09-11-2007, 02:18 PM

Basically ignition systems like MSD are for high compression and/or high output or old style engines. I have seen people use them in utility vehicles too. They are good for hard working engines basically. I went overboard putting the MSD set up in my old truck but it did make a difference. For trucks like ours, you wouldn't need this kind of setup because newer trucks have more efficient ignition systems than older ones. The idea of the MSD is to provide a complete and thorough burn of the fuel in each chamber. Kind of like the heavy fuel smell out of the exhaust of old cars due to the engine not burning 100% of the fuel especially at low RPMs. The MSD puts three sparks per cylinder per combustion cycle (Hence MSD = Multiple Spark Discharge). After 3000 rpm, you get one solid, strong spark to do the job. This translates into more torque and horsepower because the fuel is being burned completely and the engine is making the most out of it. Other ignition systems do something similar or just provide much stronger sparks. On trucks like ours with multiple coils and advanced ECU’s, the ignition is already efficient enough for the engine displacement and fuel delivery. The only way it would benefit our engines is if they were highly modified, supercharged, or on the juice (NO2).

I had the MSD 6 controller, distributor, plugs, wires and coil.
For my old truck it helped when I was hauling stuff or off-roading and throttle response was sharper but not enough to justify the cost.

Old 09-11-2007, 05:58 PM

Like he said above older cars and high performance is the only ones that can really need the new high performance ignitions. My dad switched to a HEI distro and coil becouse he wanted to simplify the boats 350 and to make it reliable.

Old 09-11-2007, 07:10 PM

My dad is fixing up a 79 C-10 ...I'll mention this to him.

Thanks!