Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Electric Cutouts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 03:28 PM
Beginner
Default Electric Cutouts?

I have a 2010 Chevy Silverado LTZ. I haven't done anything to it except put on a Cherry Bomb Extreme muffler. I still have stock cats, engine, etc.

It's got a good tone but it's not loud enough. I heard from a friend that if I install electric cutouts right after the engine but before the cats I can get a beast sound. What do you guys think about this move?

I'm in Texas so the E-cutouts are a bonus since when I do inspections i can close it, and when I'm on long drives and don't want it giving me a headache I can also close it.

How expensive is it? I saw some electric cutouts from DMH that look affordable. I'm not sure but I think I only have 1 cat, so maybe I can get away with just 1 electric cutout instead of duals.

I haven't found any shops in North Dallas that will do this kind of work, so if anyone has suggestions here let me know. Also if DMH isn't a good brand please suggest an alternative.

Old 10-20-2011, 04:22 PM

You won't find a shop that will do that type of work generally because it's illegal and can involve huge fines or even losing the business. Mounting it where you're talking about will make it obnoxiously loud but will effect performance in a negative way and trigger engine codes. If you want a good healthy sound rather than loud and crappy, invest in a good exhaust system and headers. With the right setup you'll get a great sound and improved performance.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:27 AM

im not a big fan of the E-cut outs i put one on my last truck and about every 4 months the motor went out

Old 10-21-2011, 07:47 AM
Beginner

Originally Posted by cedricw1991
im not a big fan of the E-cut outs i put one on my last truck and about every 4 months the motor went out
That seems suspect. how could that cause engine problems?

Old 10-22-2011, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by void.pointer
I think he was talking about the electric motor on the cutouts.

Old 10-22-2011, 01:40 PM
Beginner

oh ok that is a little less scary :P

Well what brand of E cutout did he get? I'll know to avoid that brand.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:19 AM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by void.pointer
It can cause ambient air temps to cool the heads off too quick, this will cause them to warp as well as heat. The cut outs are cheap($30 a piece, u need 2), the electric remotes are $150. Dont get em, not worth it. Get some long tube headers with ORY-pipe and you will gain more torque and better screamin sound at WOT. I got mine for $300 shipped 3 days to the door. They are direct bolt on.

Last edited by RUFFNECK4LYFE; 10-27-2011 at 12:24 AM.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:02 AM
Beginner

What is WOT?

Old 10-27-2011, 08:04 AM
Beginner

Also keep in mind that I'm in Texas and need my cats to pass state inspections. That is why I liked the idea of cutouts so much because I can toggle my cats on & off as I please. If I don't want the loud noise on long drives, or if I need my cats on for state inspections.

Last edited by void.pointer; 10-27-2011 at 08:10 AM.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:40 AM

Like Ruff said, go with headers and a high flow cat. An old trick I learned was to loosen the flange bolts at the dragstrip and uncork the headers when I raced. Full flow for hp on the dragstrip and quieter for the street and legal.

Quick Reply: Electric Cutouts?