Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Electric Cutouts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 09:24 AM
Beginner

Originally Posted by MrDragon
Like Ruff said, go with headers and a high flow cat. An old trick I learned was to loosen the flange bolts at the dragstrip and uncork the headers when I raced. Full flow for hp on the dragstrip and quieter for the street and legal.
He said an offroad Y pipe, not high flow cats, right?

That headers + high flow cats is something a friend got and it was over $2k installed. That's way more expensive...

Old 10-27-2011, 01:32 PM

Check prices man. Ruffneck mentioned that he only had a few hundred in his setup

Old 10-27-2011, 02:12 PM
Beginner

This is the sound I want:

I don't know if I can get that on my 2010 Silverado. Apparently he has high flow cats + no muffler + y pipes. No mention of headers that I can see.

Even if price isn't an issue, finding a shop in Dallas that will do this work will be hard. I need some suggestions from people in the area, haven't found any myself that will do it. The ones I called said they won't do any cat work due to laws and/or fines involved for them.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:43 PM

Order a premade kit and you can do the work yourself. It's not difficult. You won't find an exhaust shop that will take the chance of a 10000 fine or lose their business license because you want the cats left out. It's a federal law and too much liability.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:30 PM
Beginner

Originally Posted by MrDragon
Order a premade kit and you can do the work yourself. It's not difficult. You won't find an exhaust shop that will take the chance of a 10000 fine or lose their business license because you want the cats left out. It's a federal law and too much liability.
Can you link me to one so I know what I'm looking for? Thanks man.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:17 PM
Old 10-27-2011, 09:24 PM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

Your vortec motor is gonna sounds way better than that. The ORY is very easy to install or take down. So you could use your stock cats for the inspection and then swap it out with the ORY. The long tube headers with the ORY all cost me $303. Took me about 2 hours to install myself. I can try to post up a video of mine but it is cammed with a big lift so the tone of the exhaust sounds way different than stock. And remember, just cause its loud dont mean its faster. I have seen and read about so many guys making their trucks louder and then complain how sluggish it runs. All I am saying is do it right so you don't have any regrets. I will be glad to answer more questions to the best of my knowledge.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:40 PM
Beginner

Originally Posted by RUFFNECK4LYFE
Your vortec motor is gonna sounds way better than that. The ORY is very easy to install or take down. So you could use your stock cats for the inspection and then swap it out with the ORY. The long tube headers with the ORY all cost me $303. Took me about 2 hours to install myself. I can try to post up a video of mine but it is cammed with a big lift so the tone of the exhaust sounds way different than stock. And remember, just cause its loud dont mean its faster. I have seen and read about so many guys making their trucks louder and then complain how sluggish it runs. All I am saying is do it right so you don't have any regrets. I will be glad to answer more questions to the best of my knowledge.
I really have no idea where the ory connects, much less how to put it together myself. I need a visual of what the whole system will look like in both configurations. Can you explain? Thanks.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:54 PM

There is a flange behind the cats and in front where it connects to the manifolds. Here is a pic of my headers before installation...

Attached Thumbnails Electric Cutouts?-headers.jpg   Electric Cutouts?-headers-2.jpg  
Old 10-27-2011, 10:01 PM

Quick Reply: Electric Cutouts?