Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Electrical Problem Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 06:44 PM
Default Electrical Problem Please Help!

I have a 2000 Silverado Z71, I hooked up a trailer break unit and once I turned the key I heard a pop and found that my fog lights quit working and my speedo is buried all the way to the right. And to top it off I now cannot hold a charge. I have checked all fuses and disconnected my battery, but nothing has changed. Any Ideas? Thank you for your time.

Old 02-27-2007, 09:46 PM
Default RE: Electrical Problem Please Help!

Man, I've never heard of that happening. With the popping sound, is sounds like something may have shorted out. How old is your current battery? I would start with the basics and ensure you battery is good to go. In most cases, simply replacing the battery can resolve the situation. If it is not the battery, then wiring could be an issue. Start with the battery and go from there. Good luck!!

Old 02-27-2007, 10:02 PM

Have you checked the relays? Also I assume the brake controller doesn't work at all , is that true? It sounds like you may have gotton some wires backwards or you overloaded the relay.

Old 02-27-2007, 10:03 PM

Did you use the factory harness?..It will only plug into one hole..
Did you check both fuse boxes?..underhood and dash?

Old 02-27-2007, 10:04 PM

My battery is not that old, but I have had some in that past that just went bad, so I will check that out for sure. I know that I have a very uncommon problem, so I thank you very much for your time. I have been reading on other sites and it may also be the body control module (BCM), but I really have no idea. All I know is that my truck is sitting in the drive not going anywhere.

Old 02-27-2007, 10:08 PM

yeah, every fuse has been checked and it was the correct harness. It plugged right in with no problem, there is only the one spot and it came right out of my buddies Z71 that is only one year older than mine. I am just bummed right now. Thank you for your help.

Old 02-27-2007, 10:25 PM

When it comes t o mechinacial issuses that is one thing but electrical that is a whole different world. Especially with everything new going toward mostly computer controlled.

Old 02-27-2007, 10:47 PM

The almost for sure thing i can think of would be the BCM. i have looked in to this alot here in the last hour or so, and the BCM would be the MOST likely idea. check and let me know, i will look at some more diagrams and let you know.

Old 02-27-2007, 11:13 PM

I will thank you

Old 02-28-2007, 08:16 AM

A fuse MUST have blown if you heard a pop...was the maxi-fuse already installed,or did you put it in with your harness?

Quick Reply: Electrical Problem Please Help!