Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Exhaust exit infront of rear tire?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 06:14 PM
Default Exhaust exit infront of rear tire?

Hi all I was thinking about putting a side exit exhasut kit on my truck that would exit infront of the rear passenger tire. Although after talking to a few people they have said that they heard that it will cause significant wear on that tire from the heat. I was wandering if anyone else has ran into this problem or could give me some insite into the matter!!

Old 03-07-2009, 05:09 PM

Not so much tire issues as rim issues. Ford ran their exhaust on the F150 for a couple years that way and had to replace a ton of rims on the rear passanger side so they stopped that real fast! The heat and emissions corroded the rims.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:39 PM

yeah, I've heard the exact same thing, and I don't doubt it....
But I still decided to throw on one of those Flowmaster American Thunder side-exits.

Decent kit, looks sweet, but a bit too loud for me honestly.
Back to the topic, so far I can't see any noticeable wear on my rear pass. side wheel... Only been on a couple of months though.

If I get motivated enough, I might actually get the exhaust routed up over the frame rail and out the side of the bed in a bolt on tip... might raise it up above that tire enough to reduce the neg. effects...

what kind of wheel finish do you have? OE wheel?

Old 03-19-2009, 07:28 PM

Ya just have stock gmc alum wheels.That is the same kit as I was looking at getting but with a super 40 I think. How long did the install take, any advise?

Old 03-26-2009, 02:59 PM
TruckForum Addict

If it is an everyday driver then run it out the rear (split or straight out). If it is a drag strip racer then go out the side.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by timber74wolf
If it is an everyday driver then run it out the rear (split or straight out). If it is a drag strip racer then go out the side.
I agree with Timber74wolf. I have a 94 with a 40 series dumped in front of the rear tire. It's very loud inside and I'm ready to run them out the back or at least dump them behind the rear tires. Just my $.02!!!!

Old 04-29-2009, 05:59 PM

Agreed. I had side exits on my 78 chevy pickup and I couldn't carry on a conversation in the cab when I was driving. It sounded like Nascar but for daily driving just take the exhaust past the rear wheels.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by WarWar87
Hi all I was thinking about putting a side exit exhasut kit on my truck that would exit infront of the rear passenger tire. Although after talking to a few people they have said that they heard that it will cause significant wear on that tire from the heat. I was wandering if anyone else has ran into this problem or could give me some insite into the matter!!
my buddys got duels coming out before the tires and he's had no tire problems

Old 04-30-2009, 02:25 AM

I got mine going strait down right after the muffler! Sounds good and is as clean as can be. After I did this to my truck I never want to see another pipe cumming out the back of any if my vehicles.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:02 AM

personally i dont like them, they look cool but my 1 ton has it on and i blew out close to 5 tires in the last year on that rim and the last one wrinkled the box. id say go out the back or a foot or more in front of the tire.

Quick Reply: Exhaust exit infront of rear tire?