Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 09:09 AM
Default Fuel?

What are the symptoms of fuel pump failure it still runs, but it's having trouble starting sometimes. 01 GMC Sierra 73K worst event took about 10 attempts to start. will it throw a code now

Old 05-31-2008, 06:09 PM
Beginner
Default RE: Fuel?

I also have an 01 and I am having the same problem. Not near as sever as yours however. Mine will usually start after two attempts. My main concern now is that when she does fire off the starter acts as though it sticks and grinds just alittle. Not sure what is causing this. Someone did tell me that the starting situation could be the fuel pressure selnoid (for lack of a better description) it is on the end of the fuel rail. I have not checked it out yet but maybe someone can agree or disagree with it. Either way it is somewhere to start. Good luck

Old 06-01-2008, 10:24 PM

Yep that is were I would start check your fuel presure and if thats not around 57psi do a compression test on all the cylinders.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:02 PM

hey croaker my father and I are having the same problem in our 2000 gmc sierra. Our fuel gauge has started acting up as well. We have talked to multiple mechanics about this problem they all go back to the sender unit located inside the gas tank... This is a common problem with these trucks. Hope this offers a bit of help

Old 06-18-2008, 01:09 AM

Yup went through a fuel pump already if i hit the tank with a rubber mallet it would run for a few seconds then quit dropped the tank put in a new fuel pump and havent had a problem since. i heard if you run close to empty alot it can cause damage to the fuel pump.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:01 PM

update, I changed the filter seemed to help but it's acting up again I've also noticed after a short run it seems a little worse

Old 07-17-2008, 05:59 AM

your ride may possibly have a bad pump relay on it.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:24 AM

Yea I pulled it when I changed the filter and the legs had some black marks on them. I'm thinking of bringing it in and hooking up the computer on it but it's not throwing any lights so might be a waste of time and money

Old 07-18-2008, 11:43 AM

Have a compression test done. It also might be your EVAP

Old 07-18-2008, 12:12 PM

I would definately say its fuel pressure.. I had a situation one time w/ a 95 silverado.. It would act like it wanted to start, but never would. New fuel pump and i never had another problem. If you dont have enough fuel pressure they would run right or sometimes even start..

Quick Reply: Fuel?