Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Fuel pump removal.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 10:50 PM
Default RE: Fuel pump removal.

I'm going to repeat this part....talk to someone at a PERFORMANCE TRUCK SHOP and ask them which way they prefer to change a fuel pump. I promise you - the majority do not drop the tank - they pull the bed.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:22 AM

why a performance shop?..they are ****ing idiots

Old 01-26-2008, 11:49 AM

ORIGINAL: Argon

why a performance shop?..they are ****ing idiots
What an idiotic comment.

There are shops that specialize in truck performance. 90% of their work is on trucks. My point was that the guys that do this stuff all day, every day, every week, every month, all year, year after year and they know the easiest way to do things like change out a fuel pump.

But I see you're a GM tech so I'm sure I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Old 01-26-2008, 12:28 PM

yeah,i only change around 9 a week

Old 01-26-2008, 12:49 PM

I don't care if you change your panties 9 times a week. Your comment about performance shops was asinine. We have some of the most well known and respected performance truck enthusiasts (and shops) in the country - right here in Texas. And all the ones I deal with are top notch guys.

Any posts I've made here have been in an effort to help people - this one included.

I'll edit the last part of my post here and say that you are clearly not an idiot. Afterall you've been a GM tech for over 20 years, so I'm sure you know your stuff. But your comment about performance shops was still uncalled for and contributes nothing to this thread.

Old 01-26-2008, 01:29 PM

calm down..i didn't mean any personal attack...ask the guys who've been here awhile,i joke around but am always willing to help..

as for the bed thing...i can see where it "could" be easier if you have no lift.but it takers about 4 guys to move it (or 2 willing to chance the jewels)

as mentioned already,in Texas especially,we see too many redneck trucks with hitches/tool boxes for it to be prudent.

and #1 on the list...if its your truck your working on and the bed gets a minute scratch,you can deal with it...if i did it,you'd (customers in general) go nuts

Old 01-26-2008, 10:34 PM
TruckForum Addict

Exactly right.

Also Yankee, while your point may be valid, it's also not like the techs in performance shops are doing nothing but changing pumps all day long every day. I could see maybe one every day to every other day but certainly no more than the GM techs change...... especially given that they're so proned to crapping out! What the heck is GM's problem with fuel pumps anyway?! I've replaced my dad's 00 Sierra pump and my sister's 03 cavalier pump recently and there are chances mine is considering taking a dump here shortly........ And I'm only at a little over 42,000 miles.

Old 01-27-2008, 06:23 AM

they all crap out..not just gm...my brother works for Houston Police garage,and changes em daily on Taurus's(sp?)

Old 01-27-2008, 04:23 PM
TruckForum Addict

Speaking of which how long are the newer ones like in my 05 going to last with the "lifetime filter". Or is it just going to depened on each fuel pump.

Is there anything you can do to make one last. Thanks

Old 01-27-2008, 06:03 PM

not really anything to do except keep gas in the tamnk...a submerged pump is a cool pump,and a cool pump is a happy pump

Quick Reply: Fuel pump removal.