Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Glass Pack a Vortec??

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 10:39 PM
Default Glass Pack a Vortec??

Well ill start by saying i know next to nothing about trucks (other than the basics and simple mechanics from shop class). Anyways i have a 97 z-71 silverado with the 5.7L Vortec. I want to glass pack it and make it nice and loud. I was going to go with dual Thrush but then one of my friends said something about how if i were to do that with it being a vortec that there would be not enough back pressure and in turn would result in ruining the motor. If this is true what all would i have to do to be able to put glass packs on my truck?

Old 06-16-2009, 11:55 PM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

Its true these motors need back pressure. Making it loud is an easy thing to do, but there is a threshold that seperates sound and performance. What are you more for??? Cuz to me it makes no sense to hear a vehicle that is loud and no power to back up that bark.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:46 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

Amen to that RUFFNECK4LYFE I can't stand to see or should I say hear a truck that is obnoxiously loud and slow as hell to boot. It makes no sense! I have a neighbor with a really nice Tahoe that he cheaped out and just removed the muffler. You can hear him coming from a mile away and it is absolutely ridiculous. Chevy's sound great with the right muffler header combo. Do some research man and get a system that will actually help your performance not annoy everyone around you.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:40 PM

well i dont want to loose any power if i can help it. right now my truck has pently of power and its quite fast for just a stock setup. im not looking to get something really expensive. i just want it to be loud (but not like a fart can sound) and sound decent and keep my horsepower. As i think i said i was looking at thrush when i was at napa but other than that i havent looked into much cause there aint much place to look here in rural nebraska when ya work too much to leave town. ive looked online but i always seem to just find a bunch of junk rather than something worth actually looking into cause i cant find the right sights i guess.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:03 PM

Here ya go bud....http://www.magnaflow.com/... click on HEAR IT to hear some sound clips so you have a better idea of what you want. P.S. magnaflows are for performance rather than sound. Flowmasters give the big block sound and exactly that, they are more for sound but both are great for chevy's!! The chambered THRUSH muffler will sound almost like a flowmaster or pretty dam close. But I have the magnaflow on my 2001 and its really great cuz its free flowing but I put venturi's to add some back pressure... BEST OF BOTH WORLDS!!

Old 06-17-2009, 09:59 PM

is there any cheaper way to go? i know you all want performance and such which i understand but more or less i just want my truck to be loud and sound decent.

The pipes come out of the manifold dual and then merge into one muffler just under the back of the cab. now if i were to leave the cat. converter on would that solve the back pressure problem?

Old 06-17-2009, 11:09 PM

Tell you what, throw a couple of glasspacks and call it a day. If you want cheap then you will get cheap. There is a reason for expensive set ups, cuz they work very well. Now if you had a welding machine I could give you some secrets and the least expensive ways to make a motor perform great and sound great at the same time.