Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

GMC Sierra & Commercial Dealer, here to answer any questions I can

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 04:32 PM
TruckForum Addict
Default RE: GMC Sierra & Commercial Dealer, here to answer any questions I can

I have a 2004 GMC Sierra extended cab with a 5.3. How often are computer upgrades available? Are there any notices sent out? When I have taken my truck in for services they tell me Computer available upgrades and other upgradeable features have been checked and there are none... I feel as though I am getting my chain jerked to put it nicely. And are the upgraded free? Can I do away with my steering wheel with the stereo controls to a normal sterring wheel and will everything function properly? I am thinking about this so I can install an after market radio with out loosing the upper steering wheel buttons. How much is a factory steering wheel? Will after market performance enhancements void the GMPP warranty? Can I extend me GMPP warranty from 75,000 to 150,000 miles and how much would it roughly cost? What I mean by enhancements is the exhaust, mass air sensor, underdrive pulleys, etc...?

Old 05-10-2008, 04:19 PM

MEEDAF33:
I don't know what other years trannies would fit your '90 Sierra, but I do know that that transmission series had a design defect in it which GM later corrected with an upgrade kit.

But of course, indy tranny shops don't put those upgrade parts in, because they cost money and (with a bit of luck) a simple clutch-and-fluid job will last about a month longer than the guarantee.

I hadfour rebuilt trannies burn out in 3 years (the rebuilds having been done by an indy tranny shop, 2 of them on guarantee, thank bog!) until I finally took it to a GM dealer for number five.

They did the job once, and it is still running perfectly 5 years later.

Duh, I guess I'm a slow learner....

Old 05-16-2008, 02:21 AM

Hi Ryan,

Problem 1.

I have a 2005 GMC Sierra 5.3L. Recently, It started tapping in the engine upon cold start up, but the tapping quits after the truck gets warmed up. Only has 56k miles, oil changed regularly, and driven eaisly. I also noticed white smoke on cold start up, but goes away quickly. Any idea what's going on?

Problem 2.

In Dec. 06 I brought the truck to the dealership with a clunking in the steering column. They lubed something, I forgot what they called it. I was told that this was a common problem, andGM was working on a more "permanant fix" that wasn't available at the time. I also was told the problem would return. It did. I brought it back in a month ago. They replaced the intemediate steering column shaft at a charge of 240.00. I didn't think I should have to pay for the repair because it seems like a factory defect. I argued the point to no avail. Am I wrong in my thinking?

Old 05-16-2008, 11:41 AM
TruckForum Addict

You are not wrong in your thinking. My Gmc Sierra had the same thing wrong with it. The clunking in the front end. Well tehy replaced it 2 times and lubed the hell. The dealership finally replaced it with a newly designed Intermediate Shaft. I agree it is a factory defect and should not have cost or me Cent.
A 2005 and it taps at start up? I wonder if it is rockers sticking or piston slap at startup? And as far as the white smoke I would have to guess either use of oil or leaking valve seals.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:18 PM

Ryan,
I went to the dealership today and got good news. The service manager asked me if I were the person who e-mailed G.M. headquarters. I said yes, he apoligized and said he would refund me the full amount for the steering shaft repair.

As for the tapping in the engine, they drained the oil and replaced with some sort of "super oil" or an additive to the oil, not quite sure. Anyway, it worked. No more tapping. I hope it last.

Old 05-18-2008, 02:08 PM

Hi, Ryan. I've got a question regarding the self leveling rear suspenstion on my 2001 Denali.
I have a popup camper with a ~500 lb tongue weight.
When I hook up the trailer, the rear sags appreciably. Nothing disturbing, but very noticable. When the truck was new, it would pump back up no problem. Just recently, though, it didn't pump up. The compressor didn't kick on. I figured it might decide to work once I got it onto more level ground. After towing on the interstate for a while, I stopped at a rest area. After starting the truck again, the compressor kicked on and levelled itself nicely. Just before then and since then, the compressor comes on when I have a couple of people in the truck and all appears normal. Is there some compression limit, beyond which the compressor won't start? Is there some interaction with the e-brake? I set the e-brake while positioned under the tongue of the trailer so there's no movement while lowering the tongue.
I'm a little confused. When new I put the trailer on the hitch and it would pump back up with no problems. I just can't remember how much extra gear I had in the back or if I had the e-brake set.

Thanks for your time.

Jim

Old 05-19-2008, 04:35 PM

I have an 03 Sierra with an aftermarket remote starter about 2 months ago I started experiencing problems when I try to start my truck. When I try to start the truck it just does not want to turnover, but I can let go of the key and it will try to start for another few seconds (I believe this may be related to the remote starter). However, once I try to restart the truck the second time it fires right over. I am not sure if the fuel pump is going out or if there is a different problem like a fuel regulator going bad?

Old 06-07-2008, 10:19 PM

01 gmc runs then dies then wont start changed filter still the same

Old 06-15-2008, 07:07 PM

hey ryan nice to see someone in sales or dealership capacity willing to give his/her help. my question may not be within your range but here it is I work at gm's plant in oshawa and we are losing our award winning manufacturing facility due bad sales I was wondering if you could enlighten me on the down turn in sale due to gas price or if it is because trufully because dodge and ford are out selling us. any input would be appriecated thanks. mark

Old 06-21-2008, 01:40 AM

Hi Ryan, My name is Ryan. I own a 1990 Sierra 1500 4x4 short sport box.
A friend of mine that I work with owns a 1996 Sierra 1500 4x4 ext. cab.
His 4x4 does not work because of a problem with the transfer case.
Can we use the transfer case from my 1990?
Are they the same part?
The truck is very similar to mine, and from the inside the 4x4 shifter is the same as well.
His 96 is a vortec, my 90 is not. But both are 305's I believe.
Thank you for your help!

Quick Reply: GMC Sierra & Commercial Dealer, here to answer any questions I can