Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Got my first truck, 2001 Silverado!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 01:48 PM
Default Got my first truck, 2001 Silverado!

Whats up guys I just got my first truck and it's a 2001 Silverado 1500 (4.8l V8). I bought it from my friend who was the original owner and it was a work truck which is what I use it for but it needs a lot of work right now so I am here to hopefully get some info and learn more about these trucks.

Right now I need:
A manual (where do you recommend I find one and which one?)
I need to change the oil (what oil do you recommend for So Cal?)
I need to put on new rotors and pads (best/cheapest place to get them?)
Fix the stereo (right now only the drivers side speakers work but sometimes when you hit a bump the passenger side comes on....)
**And the AC works fine when the truck is cold but when it's been warmed up and driven it makes this horrible squeeling noise! Any ideas on that? Seems like it could be the compressor so I'll probably need one of those.**

I am a BMW guy at heart and have been working on/owning those for many years but I ride quads and needed a truck an I love the truck so far! Any help or advice you can give me will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Here's a bad pic of her:

Old 09-01-2010, 12:26 AM

well for the oil i would recomend doing it your self and using mobile 1 5w-30 with a ac delco filter but remember once you go synthetic you shouldnt go back to "conventional" oil... and for the rotors and pads just go to an orielly's if they have them in so cal i cant imagine they dont, and pick up a set of rotors and find a place that sells ac delco pads, if you have to get them from the dealer they are quite expensive but are worth it in my opinion, very little brake dust no squeeling and they will last your 100k, for the speaker it prob needs replacement, and if your compressor took a dump on you then that is easy job if you have the know how if not them take it to a well known mechanic for a ac job and make sure he uses good parts and does the job right cause that is going to be a $800 job to replace ac compressor orfus tube, dryer, accumalter, recycle the freon, clean the lines, and charge the system. good luck