Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Guess What The Gasket's For & Win A Prize!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 07:48 AM
Default Guess What The Gasket's For & Win A Prize!

Good Day Everyone!

This is certainly not a truck-critical issue, but I thought I'd ask:
While chasing down a water leak in the cabin, I removed the cowl. (I think it called 'cowl'- it is the long, ventilated plastic part crossing under the windshield, below the wipers.)

There are some access holes in the metal: One is for the wiper motor, one for who knows what and so on. The hole immediately outboard of the passenger wiper mounting stud has a foam gasket kinda-sorta stuck around the perimeter. I attached a photo.

For all the information I could find, I can't figure out why this is there. It isn't like GM puts extra stuff in cars for fun. The cowl above this hole is slotted, so it isn't stopping water. I tired to search for the gasket in a parts look-up to see if it had a name that would be a clue. Nope! Just called "Gasket".

Do any of you know why this is here? And, should I replace it? (It is shrunk & won't make the perimeter any more.)

Thanks for any ideas!
Paul
PS: The water leak turned out to be the grommet retainer around the wires leading into the door. Its clips receded & it was not snapped on tightly. Wish I found this before I took a bunch of stuff apart- and broke the antenna base stud. Oops!

Attached Thumbnails Guess What The Gasket's For & Win A Prize!-mystery-gasket-sierra-under-cowl-view-2.jpg  
Old 05-10-2011, 08:09 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

I would guess that is where the A/C system draws fresh air from and the gasket is there to keep whatever craps lands in cowl area from getting in.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:21 AM

Thanks for the quick reply.
I first thought that, too. But, there are a bunch of more holes nearby (also with air vent slots above them) that don't have gaskets.

Your reply has me re-thinking it & does make god sense:
Maybe this is the one that does the actual sucking-in of air & the others are passive? The cabin intake duct is only a few inches away.

A lot of stuff certainly gets under the cowl. (Maple tree helicopters were plentiful.)

Thanks Again!
Paul

Old 05-12-2011, 10:06 AM
Default ID gasket... win a prize

the "cowl" you described is known as the "valance".

Old 05-12-2011, 11:08 AM

So does that mean I win the prize?

Old 05-12-2011, 08:23 PM
Default The Grand Prize!

Thanks to everyone for your help on this puzzlement!

Wow- "Valance" If I knew it had such a fancy name, I'd have paid way more money for the truck.

As far as the prize goes ... You Won My Sincere Gratitude! (Junky prize, huh?)
Sorry! That's all I've got! (But, should you ever come to Detroit, I'll buy you a Vernors & a Coney Dog. Mmmmm Good!)

I did replace the gasket with some very similar foam strips I had left from putting in storm windows last fall.

I'm kind of glad I did dig in this deep because, while rooting around looking for the leak, I found what I guess is a third cabin filter under the dash that was plugged solid with leaves & debris. Never saw any mention of it in the owner's manual. Surprise!

Again, thanks to everyone for the ideas! This forum is cool.

Paul

Old 05-12-2011, 08:30 PM

A third one? I know of the 2 that sit side by side under there, but not a third - do tell.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:33 AM
Default Secret Filter

A third one? I know of the 2 that sit side by side under there, but not a third - do tell.

Reply:
I didn't stick around long enough to figure out exactly what it is for but ..
If you push the 2 tabs to let the glove box drawer fall & look up toward the firewall & to the right, it is kinda-sorta visible behind a foam covered wiring bundle. It is a cheapy foam pad. There is a plastic grid across it. It is about 6 or 8" square. The filter looked like a project to remove for washing, so I blew it off with the air gun. A huge amount of leaves & dirt ended up in the trough under the valance. Must be important for something.

I found it while tracing the antenna wire. I broke the stud trying to unscrew the antenna whip to take the valance off. The plan was to take the base out- wire's permanent on the base- & replace it or braze a stud on or some other make-it-work fix. I ended up just drilling and tapping both the base -still in place- and antenna & inserting a brass screw with its head chopped off. It got never-seize this time! Radio works fine. Simple enough I suppose.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:59 PM
TruckForum Addict

Thats a new 1 on me too. Anyone know what it is?

Old 05-15-2011, 02:25 PM

From what I can see on my wife's Tahoe that is where the air gets sucked in from the recirculated setting (inside the cab). Hers does not have a foam pad though. It is just the grid looking opening. She will actually every once in a while open and release the glove box and spray Febreeze in there to freshen up the vents.

Quick Reply: Guess What The Gasket's For & Win A Prize!