Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guys I need help with two 95 silverado issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 03:08 AM
Default Guys I need help with two 95 silverado issues

Bought a 1995 K2500 Silverado with 220K on it. Had a new transmission at 100K. This truck has the 4 speed electro matic I think that's what it's called transmission. 5.7 Liter gas engine. 4X4 extended cab.

Problems: When I'm driving down the highway at highway speed 60-65mph or even slower speeds the truck has a tendency to miss when you accelerate to go up inclines or if you going to pass or something that causes you to increase your speed. Actually jerks at a rate that is pretty consistent. Really annoying. I feel like it might actually want to die. Has never backfired or anything like that. Takes a little longer to start in the morning than I feel it should. Seems longer than the 93 Silverado I used to have. Where should I start to save money. I want to do a tune up with spark plugs rotor dist cap and wires, but would like to know ahead of time which of those would be the culprit or if none are.

Second problem. When I'm stopped or going slow in a parking lot the steering wheel seems to fight me and make a whining noise you can feel in the steering wheel. Like it's low on PS fluid, but it is not and the belt is tight. I drove a 97 that did the same thing and they said it was the speed sensitive steering mechanism. I've heard 95 don't have that. Am I wrong about the SSM or could it be something else. Does great at highway speed, but really clumbsy in a parking lot. I feel I'm crimping the steering when I actually not. Any help really appreciated. John

Old 07-27-2009, 06:41 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

The first problem could be tune up related so if you are due for that I would go ahead and do it. It also sounds like it could be either a clogged fuel filter (cheap so go ahead and get one while your tuning it up) or possibly a fuel pump that is getting weak (especially because you say it is hard to start in the morning).
The 2nd problem sounds like a power steering pump on its was out. If the fluid is at the right level and it still whines thats going to be the case.
Good luck!

Old 07-27-2009, 11:08 AM

i defineately think a tune up and replacement of plugs, wires, rotor, and cap should be done as well as getting the fuel system looked at. i used to have an s-10 that did the same thing until i got a new fuel pump and cleaned the MAS. as for the steering, i feel for you on that one, my truck occasionally does this only at low speeds, but my truck is not a daily driver and i am just waiting for the pump to go out. good luck and let us know how it all works out.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:17 AM
Default Fuel Filter

How do you change that fuel filter without losing all your gas? I've done it once back in 1994, but can't remember if all the gas comes out or not. John.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:33 AM

You won't lose all your gas, but you will lose whatever is in the filter and the line. Make sure you relieve the pressure under the hood or you will get sprayed. It's a little messy so have a rag handy and again make sure to relieve that pressure first. Good Luck!

Old 07-28-2009, 12:22 PM

you can clamp off a rubber fuel lin with a C clamp if you have to

Old 07-28-2009, 01:41 PM
Default Fuel Filter

Hate to sound stupid, but how do you relieve the pressure under the hood. I remember at one time I read on my Dodge you have to short acroos two terminals on the OBD port to relieve the pressure on a Dodge Dakota. Is it the same on the Chevy or do you pull a line off under the hood? Sorry to sound stupid, but I would rather be safe than sorry. I know on a Nissan you can just open the gas cap to relieve the pressure. John

Old 07-28-2009, 01:55 PM

Sorry I didn't look at the year... a 1995 is still throttle body injected so you don't have a nipple under the hood. On those years you just need to take the fuel cap off and let it sit for a few minutes. It will bleed down by itself. Sorry for the last post.

Old 07-28-2009, 05:54 PM
General Truck/Classifieds Forum Moderator

And while you are at it dump some fuel injector cleaner in it

Old 07-29-2009, 02:16 AM
Default 95

Thanks guys I'll try the fuel filter first. John