Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Need some radio help guys

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 09:45 AM
Default Need some radio help guys

Ok...first, I cannot afford to install an aftermarket unit at this time.

Just this past week my radio decided to stop working. It still lights up, keeps time and will eject cassettes and even cd's from the slave deck in the console. I am not getting any sound out of the speakers at all. I have replaced both fuses for the audio system with no change. I disabled and re-enabled the audio security and that didn't help either. I am at a loss and I want my tunes back. So...any ideas?

Oh...it's a 1999 Silverado.

Thanks!
dougo

Old 12-05-2009, 01:32 AM

Have you checked to see if it has a stero control module I have a 93 module went bad and only one speaker works

Old 12-07-2009, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by tbones
Have you checked to see if it has a stero control module I have a 93 module went bad and only one speaker works
I can't find anything in the manual and I don't have a Chilton's for this truck handy, so I dunno where it would even be. I am looking into buying a new head unit anyway, so I just wanted to make sure this wasn't a problem with the truck before I drop money a new set-up.

Old 12-11-2009, 06:30 AM
Default Need some radio help guys

Anyone help me out? Need for 02 6.0 L HD exhaust manifolds. Have an exhaust leak and found a manifold bolt broken off. Thanks for the help

Old 12-19-2009, 02:20 PM
Thumbs down

How about starting your own thread instead of hi-jacking mine, genius. kthx

Old 01-18-2010, 04:13 AM

Don't waste time & money trying to get the factory head unit repaired or replaced with a new factory unit; the factory stuff is overly expensive garbage. Instead, go down to the most reputable car stereo shop -not Best Buy!- in your town and have them install a "high power" 15 - 20 watts rms/50,000,000 watts max power aftermarket cd head unit with a standard auxiliary input (this is usually either a 1/8" minijack on the front panel or a pair of rca inputs on the rear) like the Clarion CZ100 for $99 msrp. The installation won't exactly be inexpensive (probably between $150 - $175 or so) but will give you a reliable solid foundation on which to upgrade your sound. The high power head unit will certainly get you by while you save up for a higher quality amplifier (stay away from any amplifier that boasts "Class D" because they usually sound fake and fatiguing unless it's just powering a subwoofer.) If you really want to learn what to buy & what not to buy then I'd strongly suggest following the link (directly below) to the Decware hi-fi website and purchasing access to Steve Deckert's book in which he shares his insights from when he ran a car stereo shop...

http://www.decware.com/secrets.htm

http://www.clarion.com/us/en/product...392953350.html

http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/ida-x303

http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/PXA-H100/

Besides providing you a host of extra features the cd head unit will allow you to more easily and effectively add on an amplifier(s) as well as subwoofers - it will facilitate tailoring the sound via equalization, subwoofer level/fader & electronic crossovers. The Alpine unit (link above) will even allow the addition of the PXA-H100 module (link above) that offers automatic equalization & time correction processing in the digital domain which can drastically improve the sound quality.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:18 PM
Default aftermarket stereo is the best/only fix

Do yourself a HUGE favor and install it yourself.
Crutchfield.com gives you installation manuals for your specific model anytime you order speakers and stereos.
You can ask me too, i could even give you pictures. I have a '98 K2500 Silverado, with a DVD player, component speakers on a 4-channel amp, 300 watt RMS 10inch sub, etc. I even play my Playstation 2 in my truck, not to mention run CB radio.
It sounds like you already half know what to do anyway.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:20 PM

I don't disagree with egsurfer700 if you are fairly comfortable working with 12 volt electricity. If you aren't comfortable you could easily short your head unit (which they likely won't warranty do to installation error unless they install it) or cause an electrical fire by not making proper reliable connections. Barring that by all means install it yourself, it usually isn't too difficult - just be sure to take your time with it & double/triple check the quality of every connection. You should also purchase an install kit including the wiring harness - don't ruin the factory wires to save 10 bucks. I hope we helped.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:03 PM
Administrator

I recently installed a Pioneer head in my truck and another Pioneer head in a 97 Bonneville. I find it to be a cinch and I just go through and thoroughly solder and isolate every connnection first. I've yet to have a problem with either one of the heads. I did make the mistake of installing some new speakers in my truck and got in a hurry and didn't tighten down the bolts enough. Stupid stupid stupid stupid. Now I've got to tear the entire thing back apart and tighten it down....

Anyways, good luck with your install!

Old 01-22-2010, 01:48 PM

Hi-Fi-Guy, Dangers of working with 12 volt car batteries? All you do is disconnect the negative terminal from the battery. Normally i do not solder every connection. I use butt connectors and electrical tape. It takes some time to do a clean job, but not as much time as soldering. This is easier ESPECIALLY if you plan on working with/checking the connections again and removing them. easy peasy. If you want a solid job that won't budge and will give you the best power/signal transfer then yes solder.

And yes, Crutchfield.com will give you the appropriate wiring harness for free with your order.

All in all you're looking at about $150 for a base stereo that already does more that your stock radio. How much were you planning to spend to fix a P.O.S. stock system?

Quick Reply: Need some radio help guys