Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Header Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 02:07 PM
Default RE: Header Help

Thats what I figured. Should I do stainless ya think?

Old 10-19-2007, 02:46 PM

I really don't know how stainless would work, but i do know that the coated headers are the ones they use more for racing and and high rpm's. I just got the regular headers on mine and they work just fine. i think they are the stainless. Just depends what you want to do wit your truck.

Old 10-19-2007, 11:29 PM

As I understand it the ceramic coating is supposed to help with not discoloring over time like stainless will. Due to the heat and what not the stainless will get sort of a blue tint or coloring to it over time.

Old 10-20-2007, 11:47 AM

the ceramic will discolor as well as well as rust depending on what brand they are. I would go with the stainless myself. Gibson makes a good set

Old 10-20-2007, 01:29 PM
TruckForum Addict

The idea behind the ceramic coating is to help keep some of the heat out of the engine bay. The ceramic coating helps keep the heat inside the exhaust instead of heating up the whole engine bay like the cast iron manifolds do. They also are not supposed to rust and discolor.... atleast no where near as quick as the stainless steel.

Old 10-20-2007, 07:50 PM

I have a set of ceramic coated Hooker headers on my Toyolet. They have over 100,000 miles on them and no discoloration. My only complaint is everywhere I have banged them with a tool the coating is gouged and rust comes through. The Toyolet is getting amotor swap and when I took the headers off there was no rust on the inside. Just an item to ponder depending on how often you are under the hood bloodying your knuckles.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:14 AM

My worry is the rocksalt they use on the roads in the winter. It tears up steel pretty good. My rockers and tailgate are starting to blister already! I was told that coated headers will last no more than two years around here so Im def looking toward stainless.

Old 10-27-2007, 04:47 PM

Well guy's I got the headers on...only took six hours...had to gring two of the bolts of the driver side manifold where it connects to the y. The headers look good...but there is an exhaust leak on the passenger side where the header and y bolt up...the round thing on the end of the header (don't know the term for it) but it is way to big to slip into the factory y. but it kinda slides half way in if you play with it...but since I ground down the bolt's on the driver side manifold I can't exactly bolt the stock manifolds back on now can I...but the headers have made a significant change in the top end and I can't stop smokin my tires in low gear when I am taking off fast... so i say it's a plus but now I am gonna have to buy a new y in the next week or so...I also replaced the spark plugs and wires...any questions let me know. With no complications and two people and the right tools you should be able to install a set of headers in 2-3 hours.

Old 10-27-2007, 09:49 PM

I think the stainless would be much better for the winter. Not going to say I am completely sure, but that is what I would do in a heartbeat.

Old 10-27-2007, 11:27 PM
TruckForum Addict

So what did you install? Shorties? What brand?

Quick Reply: Header Help