Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Headlight Headache! Any ideas

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 02:53 AM
Default Headlight Headache! Any ideas

Driving down the street in my 2000 silverado I went to turn the high beams on and all the headlights just quit. All otherlightson the truck are functioning correctly. The high beam indicatorno longer comes on when the high beams are switched on andoff. I stopped and checked fuses multiple times and assumed the headlamp relay was to blame. Replaced the relay and the problem still exists. the fuses and relay are fine and gettin power. The sockets however are all getting power to both terminals. Does this suggest a short somewhere between the underhood fuse box and the socket.Should I attempt to fix it my self or leave that to the Dealership? Any help would be great.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:47 AM
Default RE: Headlight Headache! Any ideas

Are you still under warrentie? That will be your answer. You said that you have power at the headlight and there was power to both terminals? To clerify that means that there is power to both of the bulb terminals (Both the power and the ground)? If that is the case than I would say that you need to check the ground, and get some newbulbs and go from there. If there is power and a ground at the headlight bulb terminal, and that is not the problem than I would say that you need to go to the dealer and have them look at it. Good luck!

Old 08-21-2009, 07:14 PM

did u figure it out? I have a 97 sierra with the same prob. i click the signal arm but no highbeams, the highbeam indicator doesn't work either. the relay and fuses are good. I think the problem may be in the switch in the column. I hope not, cuz it looks like an expensive fix.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:15 PM
General Truck/Classifieds Forum Moderator

sounds like a bad dimmer switch to me