Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with fuel pump.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 10:52 AM
Unhappy Help with fuel pump.

My fuel pump shelled out on my 1993 F/S GMC truck and I was thinking of removing the bed instead of removing the gas tank because it has more than 1/2 a tank. Now what do I need to know and would I have to disconnect my rear tail lights harness? What I want to do is remove the bolts from the side of tank and loosen the bolts on the passenger side of bed then support the bed with 2x4's to get my pump out. Any tips would help big times.
Thanks! RJ
PS-How many bolts are on the bed example and how many grounds is there and so on. Also im going to get a Delphi pump with the sending unit and wiring harness. (I forgot to add that my truck is a step side so will any of the tail lights have be disconnected)?

Last edited by GMCTRUCKS; 08-10-2009 at 01:19 PM. Reason: add
Old 08-10-2009, 12:31 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

Yeah removing the bed is the way to go, but you will need to remove all the bolts to get enough clearance to get the fuel pump out. It is fairly tall. You should have a plug under the rear that disconnects the wires going to the taillights. Then there are the 3 or 4 bolts that hold the gas filler hose to the bed and there is also a ground wire by the fuel filler hose. There should be 8 bed bolts - the last one I did was a long bed I am not sure if a short bed has 6 or 8. Once all that is removed just get another friend or 2 and lift the bed and set the front of the bed on the tires and the back will rest on the bumper. After that the pump is easily accessible. Good Luck!

Old 08-18-2009, 05:09 PM
Unhappy GMC Dealer says my fuel pump is bad

I just took my 2003 GMC Sierra 2500 HD to the GMC dealership and the mechanic said my fuel pump was bad. Here is the problem I am having. The vehicle has long crank time after the truck sits for 30 minutes or so. If I stop cranking, and try again, the truck starts right up.

Here is what the mechanic advised on the workorder: Fuel pressure bleeding back past the fuel pump. Tested to find fuel pressure not holding after pump shut down resulting in extended crank condition. Internal fault of check within fuel pump.

How much of a job (time) is it to replace the fuel pump?

Last edited by hroraback; 08-18-2009 at 06:40 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:51 PM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

Sounds like the check valve in the pump is bad. Save the money and do it yourself. Removing the bed is the easiest way to go. The pump is gonna vary in prices. I paid 550 for a AC Delco pump and harness. The parts store will sell off brand pumps for bout 200 plus bucks. Shops usually charge around 6 hours of labor which comes out to 440 roughly. I had a shop do mine and the bill was a little more than 1000. Trust me do it yourself and save the money. I even cut a hole and added a access door through the bed so I wouldn't have to keep removing the bed.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:02 PM

Thanks. The shop quoted me a price of $1076 dollars. Quite pricy. My truck only has 39000 miles so neadless to say, I was a little miffed when thay told me the fuel pump was bad.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:12 PM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

Yeah I believe when you tend to run below a 1/4 or around an 1/8 of a tank alot, the pump will tend to heat up. I can hear my pump whining around a 1/4 tank. Then I fill up and the noise goes away. In the summer heat the gas tank will heat up and so does the fluid. The fluid constantly being circulated through the pump is what keeps it cool. So I try to never run below at least an 1/8 of a tank to risk premature wear on the pump.

Old 08-22-2009, 02:53 PM

I've replaced a fuel pump on my 99 Silverado when I had it, save your money and do it yourself. While the dealer wanted over $450 for the fuel pump assembly, I found the same AC Delco fuel pump assembly on Ebay for less than half that delivered. I did not remove the bed to do this. However, I do have a motorcycle/atv lift and it worked great when I needed to lower the tank.