Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Help hooking up sorta please!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 06:40 PM
Default Help hooking up sorta please!

Okay, me and my friend hooked up the sub and the amp correctly sorta (All the power part right) and it worked then stopped and he messed with it n it started to work again and then this morning it would not work and still wont, so I am not sure if I have the wires hooked up incorrectly or what. The amp still has power to it and it works, but the sub will just not hit for some reason. Here is how I have the outside hooked up:
http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/gg272/GoWproof/?action=view&current=apowerwires.jpg
http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/gg272/GoWproof/?action=view&current=aspeaker.jpg
http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/gg272/GoWproof/?action=view&current=awires.jpg

Then I have my ground wire hooked up to the seat (Metal part that holds it down) and I have it hooked up to the head unit, but we had to do what he called a 3 way and he just taped them together real good. And with the speaker wires they are on L- and R-.. I figured it would have to be like L-, R+ ect ect, but he told me to have them on the two middle ones. I tried every combination possible with them and could not figure anything out. So any suggestions that could be wrong with it would be GREATLY appriceated!! Thank you! (The sub is brand new, just bought it yesterday, but the amp is used, bought it from my friend)

Old 04-21-2009, 07:20 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

I have never seen an amp get hooked up with the 2 negatives before. Usually when you MONO an amp like it looks like you are trying to do you use the negative from one channel and the positive from the other. It depends on the amp which positive (left or right) and which negative (left or right). You can hook it to left Negative and Positive or right neg. and pos. to see if the amp is working. It just won't be putting out as many watts that way. What type of amp is it and we can look it up to see if that amp is even bridgeable (able to be run in a mono or single channel configuration) not all amps are capable of that.
Explain what your friend is calling a 3 way and what did he have to tape together?

Old 04-21-2009, 07:25 PM

It is bridge capable, he told me it was yesterday, but I honestly am not sure what that means. So how should I have that part hooked up then? And how should it be hooked up to the sub? (I looked at the back of the head unit and black = R and gray = L. Also the wires I was calling the 3 way was the blue wire (In the picture that is hooked up to the amp) and the 3 way did not stay together when I had looked, so I twisted them together very well and taped them with electric tape. (Idk what the wire is called, it is in the pic, but it the blue wire)

Old 04-21-2009, 08:00 PM

The blue wire is the remote. It basically just turns the amp on when the radio is on. It should be hooked to the back of the radio to Remote Turn On. The large red wire should be run straight to the positive on the battery. Bridging is when you take the left and right channels of the amp and "bridge" them which basically takes the watts from the left and right and combines them into one channel. It will push the sub alot harder that way. Do you have RCA jacks running from the back of the radio to your amp? Which wires are you talking about on the back of the radio are black and gray? What is the 3rd wire you have taped with the blue one (3-way). There should not be any additional wires hooked to the blue one.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:21 PM
Administrator

Do NOT post in more than one section, and especially do NOT post in the Truckforums help and suggestions section... Read the stickys

Old 04-22-2009, 06:47 PM

At this point, if I was you, I wouldn't trust your friend. (I just wouldn't tell him that)

Forget about the head unit wires as long as you have RCA cables hooked up to the head-units sub out-put and ran back to the rear where your amp is.

Then go online and get the wiring diagram for your sub and your amp. (You should have gotten a wiring diagram with your new sub. Then find out what Ohms you will be running and if you have multiple voice coils then you have to worry about that as well. Then just put wire A to wire B. It's that easy once you have the diagrams. If your subs don't work then, you need to start trouble shooting, and that my friend is a whole nother post!

Good luck and let us know how it workes out.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:39 PM

the blue is the remote....you need rca cables going from amp to head unit. i think this much has already been said. is your sub dual voice coil or single voice coil?

Old 04-22-2009, 08:55 PM

I have seen alot of self proclaimed stereo experts blow up more than they have hooked up! It's not just a matter of positive/negative. I am sure we can walk you through it, but you may want to visit a local stereo shop or if you feel up for the task I am sure you can find a basic amp wiring schematic on the web somewhere. Actually Crutchfield has some very useful links on their site. Good Luck Man!