Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Hey Argon, you've got mail, or anyone else knowledgeable.

Old 07-14-2007, 02:29 PM
Default Hey Argon, you've got mail, or anyone else knowledgeable.

Hey Argon, I pm'ed you about a week ago, but haven't heard from ya. Heres my question. Ibought an '03 Silverado 4x4 extended cab with the 4.8L, about 3 months ago.It has 64,000 miles on it, and from day 1 since i bought it, in certain conditions, the tranny seems to shift/bang into gear. Let me give you an incident. It seems like when i coast, if a vehicle is ahead of me or anytime i slow down then step on the accelerator to resume speed, the throttle seems mushy, and then it acts like the trannys not sure whether to upshift or down shift. I have been told its normal and that the computer for the tranny does not know what to do, or sometimes, if i am going slow we'll say at the bottom of an incline, and i go to step on it to get going, it will down shift and clunk into gear. Other times it shifts fine, and even when in tow mode, it shifts fine. Is this normal? Someone told me, something about a PCM or something which i believe regulates what the tranny does, and told me i could do away with that. I know theres something that won't allow the truck to smoke the tires/ beat on the tranny, somekind of module or something, can that be adjusted/changed to help with my problem? Please email me back if you would, or anyone else that may be knowledgeable, my address is mymissionisfishin@msn.com , thanx, Jim

[/align]

Old 07-14-2007, 04:59 PM
Default RE: Hey Argon, you've got mail, or anyone else knowledgeable.

I guess your message went to my junk-mail..I dunno..pm me here for a better response...anyway..

The tranny..Is the check-engine lite on?..it seems if its banging into gear,it should have codes.
The pcm is the brain that commands the shifts...I doubt that it is at fault.

What it sounds like is a pressure reg sticking,or a shift solenoid sticking...Sometimes,there are pcm updates available from the general to fix some minor "bug"..but this sounds more serious..

About all you can do is have it diagnosed by the dealer or a VERY sharp indy with the tools available...don't screw with an Aamco or anything...

LET US KNOW!