Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

high pitched squeling noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 10:00 PM
TruckForum Addict
Default high pitched squeling noise

today i was backing out of my driveway and was backing to the right and had my radio on and i heard a high pitched almost grinding noise and squel it was loud enaugh to hear over a radio then proceeded down the road at 25 mph i heard the noise more almost like a squeky door hinge with a grinding noise thrown in then it went away at 30 mph then when i got to where i was going and started to slow down i heard it again and then on my way home again only i had my windows down trying to pin point the noise and it sounded like it was comeing from the front and the back. last weekend i put the truck on jacks and inspected the brakes due to my abs and park brake light comes on didnt see anything wrong brakes are good.
this is on my 2001 chevy silverado crew cab 2500
im thinking a wheel bearing has gone bad .
the lights come on after i start going down the road and mainly after turning
if it were a wheel bearing wouldnt i be able to tell by putting on jacks and wiggleing the wheels up and down or side to side in out how ever you say it
any ideas im stumped
it never did this when i test drove it. i test drove the truck 2 times before buying it the first time i seen it and when it was back on the car lot theres a story behind that one its for another time
thanks

and honestly im about to take the truck back to the dealer and telling them to fix it i know it said as is no warrenties and is used but when i seen the so called "mechanics report" they gave me before i baught it and nothing was noted so what should i do fix it myself or stick it on them

Old 05-15-2012, 10:18 PM
TruckForum Addict

Could just be squeaking suspension components from neglect. Tie rod and balljoin bushings can all be heard at slow speeds. What you might do is put all 4 wheels up in the air and put the truck in drive and see if it's a bearing noise or what you were hearing was a suspension noise.

Be VERY careful though. I don't want to hear about you loosing a finger/arm/the truck falling down based on my suggestion .. If you can duplicate the sound when the truck is on the stands, have a helper re-create the sound while you listen/look for it. It could just be U-Joints going bad.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:24 PM
TruckForum Addict

Originally Posted by NullHead
Could just be squeaking suspension components from neglect. Tie rod and balljoin bushings can all be heard at slow speeds. What you might do is put all 4 wheels up in the air and put the truck in drive and see if it's a bearing noise or what you were hearing was a suspension noise.

Be VERY careful though. I don't want to hear about you loosing a finger/arm/the truck falling down based on my suggestion .. If you can duplicate the sound when the truck is on the stands, have a helper re-create the sound while you listen/look for it. It could just be U-Joints going bad.
lol i wont and i had the problem diagnosed today it was just a bad ujoint as i had check them all but aprently with the rust build up it had in the needlebearings in the cap it acted like it was still normal with no play and such but i will have the truck on jacks to check the hubs and bearings as the abs sensor and park break come on after turning thanks for pointin me in the direction i need to go