Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Trailer lights

Old 05-17-2012, 11:39 AM
Beginner
Default Trailer lights

Hello,
My 7 blade connector stopped working so I bought a 4 pin connector which plugs right into my boat trailer. I doing so I wired it directly to my light wires in the rear. I pulled off the light housing and found all the wires I needed behind it. I soldered all splices. I followed the wiring diagram to the letter and got a small problem. It said hook up the left turn signal and left brake into the yellow wire. The right turn signal and right brake into the green wire. White is ground and the brown wire gets the tail lights. When I tested it with my left turn signal the brake lights blink. And the same with the right.
What am I doing wrong? Should I add a diode to the brake wire?

Thanks,
Tom

Old 05-17-2012, 12:13 PM
TMW

Yes add a diode to the brake side with the cathode connected to the turn signal side. That way when the turn signal is on the trailer will blink and not affect the truck brake light and if the brake is on it will will be steady on the trailer. However your turn signal on the truck will be on when the brake is on unless you put a diode on it too, cathode to the brake side. In other words to keep everything seperate use two diodes for each side tying the cathodes together and that would be fed to the trailer yellow wire for left and green wire for right. The anode of one diode connects to the turn signal feed and the anode of the other diode to the brake feed.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:44 PM
Beginner

Thanks for the info. Sounds easy enough, I'll tackle this on weekend.