Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Horn Help please

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 04:55 PM
Beginner
Default Horn Help please

I have an 87 chevy v20. Trying to get it where it will pass the state inspection since it is almost due. I had it working and then for some reason it stopped working, so got a new relay and put it in with no luck.

So what I am wanting to do it just mount a horn button on the dash and wire it all in with using the relay. The relay is a 3 terminal one. How can I wire it all in and get it to work?

I tried to run it without the relay and the horn doesn't shut off. Instead of using a horn button can I use a toggle switch with the three connecters? I would rather have it on the horn button with the relay. I need to get it going.

Thanks.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:34 PM
Beginner

Anyone got any ideas for me to try?

Old 03-10-2012, 10:04 PM
Beginner

Check the horn wire coming from the fuse box and make sure the horn isnt getting power before you jump the gun on wiring a new horn button and all. Could just be a bad horn. If your getting power to the wire just before the horn its as simple as switching it for a new horn. If your not getting power, the easiest way to run it is to run a power wire (14g) straight from your battery with an inline cylinder glass fuse into the cab to a momentary switch(radioshack has the best factory looking switches), then run the wire from the momentary switch to the horn. There will be two wires from the horn and just run power to one of the wires and run a ground to the frame. Make sure you sand down the paint from a small part of the frame before you screw the ground wire to the frame and once the wire is grounded, spray paint over it so you dont get any rust. Also i would put the wire in the engine bay in a plastic 3/8ths heat wrap. Good luck!