Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to clean wheels!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 01:15 AM
Default RE: How to clean wheels!

Thats the product anyways. Don't know if I'd buy it there. The wheel buffs are also made my wizards. My local napa has some of this stuff on hand

Old 04-14-2007, 01:22 AM

Well SC, if you washed and wax'd your truck more than once a week (like you do now), maybe you wouldn't have that problem.
Nice first post, don't ya think Marky??
I'm sitting here with BigTexasChevy, and SC_Chevy_Lover. They wanted me to join the site, as I liked what I saw. Seems like a good community!

Old 04-14-2007, 01:45 AM

ORIGINAL: Nate81camaro

Well SC, if you washed and wax'd your truck more than once a week (like you do now), maybe you wouldn't have that problem.
I think we know that is not the problem! I wash my truck probably two to three times a week. Seriously, I'll get back from off-roading and I'll immediately go and wash my truck. I've always been that way! I can clean and detail the hell out of my truck, but I can't seem to get my damn rims looking better![:@]

Anyway, Nate it is good to have you on the forum brother! Everyone, Nate had a 04 1500 Silverado 5.3L Crew Cab that was nice as hell, but he sold it in order to provide a more "family oriented" vehicle. I wish he wouldn't had sold it, but I think it is very admirable to do something like that for your family. However, he is currently looking for another Silverado. He wants a mid 90's Z-71 that he can build up and have some fun in, so if you guys see one for a good deal, give me or him a PM. He has an 81 Camaro with a built up 355ci that produces approximately 340hp and 380 ft lb. It is bad *** and he loves to beat my truck to make himself feel better. Once again it is good to have you Nate and guys if you don't mind, give Nate a warm Truck Forums welcome!

Old 04-14-2007, 02:08 AM

Thanks for the welcome, Mark.

Old 04-14-2007, 02:19 AM

Benpfeil, I appreciate the link and the advice bro! I will cerainly try this product. I'm going take some before pictures and hopefully some better looking after pictures of my progress, so I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks everyone for all of the advice!

Mark

Old 04-14-2007, 09:00 AM

I have used Eagle one,and Motherscleaning products for years, and both companies make great chrome and aluminum polish. I like the Never dull wadding polish by Eagle one. You can get it anywhere for about $5.00.
Now, if your rims are pitted or have brake dust burnt on, and don't have a clear coat on them,you can take the tires off your truck and wetsand them them with 1500-2000 grit sand paper till the bad spotts are gone. Then take some medium grit rubbing compound to remove the sanding marks and then follow up with with the eagle one polish. It will take some time but the end result should look like chrome or close to it.
If you do have a clear coat and it is starting to peel and the wheels are looking like crap. No worries!
Remove the tire from the rim and get a can of aircraft stripper, which is a paint stripper. take the stripper and coat the entire face of the rim to remove the clearcoat. once you have done this rinse the rim off and follow the steps I explained. If you want the the clear coat back on you can get some Duplicolor clear wheel paint and paint the rims yourself after wiping them down with mineral spirits to get any polish residue off. Or you could find a local place to powdercoat or a body shop to clear them.

Bill

Old 04-14-2007, 12:13 PM

Do any of your truck washes around there have aluminabright in them? Truckers will use thsi on their semis to get all the aluminum to shine again. I've heard it works extremely well but I've never done it

Old 04-15-2007, 12:46 AM

Just a quick update on my progress. I got some mothers and a mothers ball and went to town on my wheels when I got home from work. After about 3 hours of polishing and buffing, they look ten times better!! I'm very pleased with the results. It is not where I want them to be, but I think with a little more time and elbow grease I'll get there. Thanks again for all of the advice.

Old 04-15-2007, 01:10 AM

I have also used mothers mag polish for years. It works well.

Another trick I picked up from a body shop guy isafter you have completly polished the rims.
Wax your truck and go over it with a polishing cloth.

The last cloth you use will pick up a very small amount of wax off the paint.
Take that cloth and "wax" the wheels using only the residual wax on the rag.
Them wipe em clean with a fresh rag.

This will give your polish some protection and by using only the residual wax you will not stain your wheels.

Using this technique about every two weeks, I was able to get almost a mirrored shine on polished rims!

Old 04-15-2007, 02:31 AM

Wow, that will work out perfect because I'm waxing my truck tomorrow. I will certainly try that technique. Thanks a lot popo!

Quick Reply: How to clean wheels!