Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

How long would it take to "restore" a truck like this?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 05:56 PM
Default How long would it take to "restore" a truck like this?

I still have no truck (lol) and so I have started looking at beater cars/ trucks. I wanna learn how to fix cars and trucks, and I figured an older car would be easier to learn on because there is less computerized stuff. How long would it take to restore something that is in the same condition as this 1990 Silverado?: (with no previous experience, or anyone that has experience)

http://tinylink.com/?e6fMKLASKI

Thanks guys.

-Lightning

Old 08-14-2007, 06:08 PM
Default RE: How long would it take to "restore" a truck like this?

I don't know man, it has a lot of cancer in the bottom of the cab, which tells me that there will most likely have more in the floor boards. There is also more cancer in the truck box around the fenders and it looked like at the back below the lights. That in itself will be a lot of work. Maybe not worth it. I would try and find another truck about the same but with less rust, mainly the rust that has made it all the way throught the metal. That's just me. But for someone with the experience level that you portray then I would say it would take about 100 hoursif I had to guess. That is quite a bit of metal work and the interior will need to be rebuilt with a new carpet kit. and seat needs to be rebuilt with new (or good used) foam, then covered. But that's saying that all the mechanical parts are there and are good.

Old 08-14-2007, 06:17 PM

1988 Silverado: http://tinylink.com/?dbLKapNxYX

I feel kinda odd looking at cars that are older than I am lol.

And 100 hours does not seem too bad... I will keep looking. I will probably post other trucks than Silverados in here as well if that's alright.

-Lightning

[align=center] [/align]

Old 08-14-2007, 09:26 PM

Man Ive got a 51 Chevy Pickup 5 window and it was made the same year my Dad was born so I wouldn't feel to bad.We spent well over3000 work hours and a lot of money doing it ourselfs and it was the first veh werodstored(a term made up for hot rodding a veh that we came up with)Don't let work scare you there is alot of do it yourself and know how books out there to teach you little tricks and you always have to learn sometime and on some veh so if you like the truckI would go with it.

Old 08-15-2007, 09:31 AM

As long as it is not your daily driver, it shouldn't be too bad to do the exterior as long as you have the tools to do the job at your access. Otherwise it could get pretty expensive to buy all of the tools. As previously said by 1988blackmamba it does take a while, and a lot of beer drinkin'! But my quote of the time is only the body. You need to also think of the chassis and the running gear. That you will probably want to go through. That will be the most expensive stuff if you decide to change something. Good luck with your project, it is getting fewer and further between that someone wants to and can afford to do projects like these.

Old 08-15-2007, 10:55 AM

Eh, one problem is that it would be my "daily driver" although I don't drive much... I'm 16 haha.

Would I be better off getting a truck that is not in as bad of condition?

-Lightning