Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hydra-Boost sqealing????

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 10:31 PM
Beginner
Default Hydra-Boost sqealing????

Have never had to work on one of these. I have a 1990 1 ton 4x4, while coming home today this thing started sqaulling like a power steering pump but much louder. When you try to turn the steering wheel hydra-booster starts squalling loudly. Easy to figure out it is bad. If i buy one which i have already found out is very expensive. Is there a trick to getting one of these to work correctly after it is on??? And can someone tell me how this thing works for the brakes?? Like i said i never have had to deal with one of these. Thanks guys.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:39 PM

Did you check the power steering fluid level? That is how the hydra-boost gets its assist.

The hydraulic booster provides power assist using fluid pressure from the power steering pump. The power steering pump supplies the hydraulic pressure needed to operate the brake booster. Three flexible hoses route power steering fluid through the hydraulic booster system.

* One hose supplies pressurized fluid from the power steering pump.
* A second hose routes pressurized fluid from the booster to the power steering gear.
* The third hose returns the fluid to the power steering pump.

Old 03-14-2010, 03:10 PM
Beginner

I will check again. Can i purchase a kit to rebuild or should i just purchase another one. Thanks.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:37 PM
General Truck/Classifieds Forum Moderator

You used to be able to buy a kit....but times are changing...its easier to buy a new one....also sometimes just a system flush will solve the issue

Old 03-16-2010, 06:36 AM
Beginner
Default Hydro boost sqeal

Checked fluid again as you ask, and it was low again. It is leaking out between where the body's of hydro bolt together. I guess i will have to make a decision whether to buy one or keep pouring fluid back in. I did check at NAPA and a rebuilt one is $159 not as bad as some places. If i do decide to go that route i will drain the power steering unit and lines and go back with fresh fluid. Thanks guys for responding to my questions. Some other sites in went to never responded. Thanks again.