Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

I have a 03 1500hd and i need to improve gasmilage

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 07:24 PM

^ yep thats my goal is 15 idnt mind buyin ga exhaust and intake cause thats going to give me more power and okay kinda cool in my opinion i like the dual exhaust setup and sound. so thats a plus and a cover i dont mind cause i race quads and i dont mind putting my gear underneath a cover and trailer my quad. so ima see where those get me also 15 is my goal just so i can last about 60 more miles a tank lol.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:33 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

Absolutely 98white5.0, you will not be able to get 18-20 out of a 6.0 4X4. If someone is claiming that, they are figuring it wrong or lying. Especially if you have the 4.10 rear like I do. The 13-15 range is about what I get. I think the sticker when new only claimed 16 and they are being generous of course. From what I understand all the 1500HD's are crew cabs so that is one heavy truck to boot!

Old 04-09-2009, 10:41 PM

I know I'm a few threads behind but I'm just responding to the cruise control issue. Today on my trip to Oregon I did better again without using it. The higher altitudes (4000ft+) seem to make the mpgs go up too. It's weird with all the hills and curves that I get 21-25 and then when I'm on straight stretches I get 18-21 (usually around sea level.) Oh and for everyone out there that hasn't been to Oregon before, they have a state law that makes all gas stations pump gas for you. I got a little freaked out at first when a couple guys started undoing the gas cap. It's actually a pretty good law and for right now the way the economy is if all gas stations in America hired 1 or 2 people to pump gas for customers that would create alot of jobs. And now is a time that people need jobs!

Old 04-09-2009, 11:13 PM

All the full service stations I've ever been to have a lot higher price for gas to account for the extra workers. So that might not help much, but it is a good way to supply jobs anyway. I'm just wondering how many production cuts OPEC can do before they quit producing oil altogether.

Old 04-10-2009, 04:25 PM

The gas prices in Oregon are actually a little cheaper than other places I've been to recently. They said it was because they don't have to pay insurance on customers that my drive off.

Old 04-11-2009, 03:02 PM

There's insurance for drive-offs? I had no idea.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:44 AM

Me neither, BUT thats just what the guy at the gas station told me. One never knows about what another person says sometimes. I did find that all the gas stations I seen had 10% ethanol added and when I drove I got horrible gas milage. I got 15 on the highway with that crappy gas. The normal is at least 20 hwy.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:16 AM

Yeah, I am new to this, but I KNOW keeping your gas out of the peddle, which is very hard for me to do and I tend to keep my foot into the peddle lol, but adding a cai and an exhaust will barely make a noticable dif, not enough to purchase them since you will end up spending a good 500 more than likely (Maybe 1mpg dif if that) Maybe changing your gearing like other people said? Different tires/tire pressure? I believe smaller tires help, so if you have big tires maybe get smaller ones? What engine do you have in that? Because for a half ton of that age that is pretty bad gas mileage. I get about 11 when I am keeping my foot out of the gas on my 2000 chevy 2500 6.0 liter V8 and when my foots in it anywhere from 5-10 (Guessing, not sure, but I know it's BAD)

Old 04-13-2009, 09:18 AM

Oh.. I just thought of this. Add a ecu chip that is made for it! If you keep your foot out of the gas and you HAVE to for majority of them to work but you will increase your mpg anywhere from 1-4 mpg from what I have heard (From my dad/mechanics).

Good luck tell me what you end up doing and how it works out!

Old 04-15-2009, 07:44 AM

^ i have always kept my foot out of it but i maxed out the most gas i can get out of it right now with out any add-ons. Im getting now 13.9 roughly. and i do have the stock size tires and i have the 6.0L in the 1500hd it sucks but i love the truck it is really amazing just kicking my self tlhat i didnt buy the diesel model...

Quick Reply: I have a 03 1500hd and i need to improve gasmilage