Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

I NEED MAJOR HELP. TRUCK OVER HEATING

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 05:13 PM
Default I NEED MAJOR HELP. TRUCK OVER HEATING

I have a 98 silverado I need help with it. I use to have puddle's of antifreeze under the truck, I replaced the water pump, radiator, intake gaskets and thermostat. Now my truck still over heat's. Some one said it could be the head gasket's but some one else told me if it was the oil would be milky white. I checked the oil the other day and it was fine and I dont have any loss of power. So if some one know's what it could be PLEASE let me know, thanks for any information some one can give me.

Old 11-22-2006, 09:02 PM
Default RE: I NEED MAJOR HELP. TRUCK OVER HEATING

Your oil would probably look milky if you had an internal head gasket coolant leak. It is possible that you have an external head gasket leak. If you can't see where the leak is, get some ultraviolet dye for the cooling system and then look for the leak with an ultraviolet light.

Old 11-24-2006, 05:49 AM

THIS IS A LONG POST WITH LINKS - DO YOURSELF A FAVOR - READ IT
You may have a case against GM for the Dex-cool anti freeze. If you Google -> Dex-Cool AND lawsuits AND chevy <- exactly as that in Boolean Unix commands or Dex-Cool+lawsuits+chevy, you will see that there are 7 states and over 250,000 people involved in a class action against GM. The problem lies in the fact that the Dex-cool DOES NOT last 100,000 as stated in the Silverado manual. In fact, GM taking a step backward states that just because it is written in the manual, does not mean it is covered by warranty - WTF man. Get the Dex-cool out, go to Green anti Freeze, after you do the following;
1.) Get your system pressure tested; this will help show where leak is
2.) Replace head gaskets NO MATTER
3.) Flush Radiator OUT OF TRUCK - take to radiator shop - no ifs ands or butts.
4.) Get a new radiator cap
5.) Remove resivour and flush with Minerial Sprits
6.) Change freeze plugs
7.) Change thermostat
Make sure when they have heads off, they completly flush all RED AF and remove all SLUDGE that the Dex-Cool has left IN MOTOR
IN my post DEX-COOL - GET IT OUT POST it explains why your is the ****. I flush every year from nose to rear, water and all oils. Even I saw a RING OF BLACK in my resivour from the Dex Cool.
The black light test is well proven and is what you should ask for; any wrencher worth his salt will do this. It won't show everything but it will confirm if head gaskets are bad. Don't go half ***'d man. You want to save your motor, do it right.
Finally, get you name into the ClaswsAction Lawsuit in you home state; more often than not, out of state Class Action Suites will welcome out of state owners. Fight man, GM has dropped the ball.
BELOW, JUST FOR YOU, IS THE POST THAT IS ON PAGE 3 - THERE ARE LINKS HERE FOR YOU TO SEE WHAT IS HAPPENING AND WHY. SO SORRY M8 -> GL - The Greek
===========THE POST ================
I have known about this for a few years but I thought that new Silverado owners or some who actually trust their GM Service Manual or even worst their Service Manager might feel the same shock that I did after learning that GM intentionally put Phosphates into the Dex-Cool Antifreeze. You who are not familiar with this and the many class action lawsuits that are now ongoing need to check out each of the links I provided below. I can only tell you one thing.
FLUSH YOU RADIATOR ASAP<- and GET THE DEX-COOL out of your trucks/cars. Use any GREEN Anti Freee such as "Prestone Green or Peak," but NOT Texaco or Penzoil as they make the Dex-Cool for GM and are identical. I hope this helps those who care as much about wasting money to satisfy GMs negligence as I do. The links below each offer a different problem Dex-Cool has brought on to GM owners.
============================================
GM knows they have a problem with Dex-Cool but they are not willing to correct this problem by going back to the green coolant that they did not have any problems with. Dex-Cool eats away the intake or water pump gaskets allowing the cooling system to leak coolant & get low, then it will start caking up in the cooling system. Gm states that Dex-Cool is not due to be serviced until every 100k; BULL****!@! I have looked at some vehicles with 30k & the dexcool already looks really dirty, I would recommend having the cooling system completely flushed EVERY YEAR & have green coolant put in the vehicle, unless you like buying intake, head & water pump gaskets. Maybe you've already had to replace a water pump just out of warranty. I HAVE PUT DIRECT LINKS IN BELOW;
JUST CLICK ON EACH LINK TO GO DIRECTLT TO PAGE AND READ

1.) DEX-COOL - FEAR ACROSS AMERICA - BLOWN ENGINES, HEATER DAMAGE AND IT JUST GETS WORST!@!

http://www.northwestclassicautomall....?pid=49&step=2

2.) GM under Legal Fire for Dex-Cool Related Problems - Radiator, Water Pump, Head Gaskets, Sludge build up - Inten

Old 01-06-2007, 07:21 AM
TruckForum Addict

Whoa, whoa, whoa... Check your cap. Then replace your thermostat. Get a 160 degree one, THEN flush your system and get water wetter. will probably fix it

Old 01-06-2007, 08:02 PM

damn!!!

Old 01-07-2007, 03:47 PM

ORIGINAL: MrLM7

Whoa, whoa, whoa... Check your cap. Then replace your thermostat. Get a 160 degree one, THEN flush your system and get water wetter. will probably fix it
A 160 degree thermostat may be OK if you want to run 13:80's in the quarter but for everyone else you should use the recommended thermostat, probably a 195 degree one.

Old 01-07-2007, 04:32 PM

Yea, because it would take your truck way too long to warm up in the winter months, and even summer.

Old 01-16-2007, 03:15 AM

Thanks for the links.I will keep a close eye on the 02 6.0L 2500HD I just got as my wifes 02 Rendezvous is now at the dealership getting head and intake gaskets and a cooling system flush from the mud in the system.

Old 01-28-2015, 03:06 PM
Beginner

I have a 1968 GMC with a 502 BB, 19K on motor same for water pump etc, when the outside temp gets over 90ish I start running warm, over 100 and I'm hitting 220 on the freeway. I have 2 electric fans in place of the clutch fan which works well at idle but there must be a way to run cool with the AC on and in hot weather, any ideas?

Thank you in advance for any and all ideas