Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Ignition Switch stuck "ON"

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 10:10 AM
Default Ignition Switch stuck "ON"

'98 Silverado 5.0 Automatic.

So, last night I turn the key, truck starts but starter remained engaged for a few seconds. I had the parking brake on as well. Put it in drive, released the parking brake and was only driving it inside my gate.

Went to turn off the truck, but the switch was stuck. It would not turn to off. As a test, I tapped it forward to start, and that worked (key turned forward, starter engaged). So, the truck is still running, my ABS light is lit on dash, but no other lights.

I pop the hood and disconnected the coil wire to kill it (coil arced all over - I hope I didn't fry it). The key will still turn to START and the truck will turn over like it's supposed to. I also disconnected my battery in case my battery was at risk overnight.

I read a few posts and while I'm assuming it's the cylinder, I also read that it could have something to do with the parking brake or brake pedal sensor? On a few occasions, my key wouldn't turn to start, either as if the steering lock was set. I had to really stand on the brake pedal to get the lock to release. Also, I don't usually use the parking brake but did have it set last night when the key/switch stuck.

I'm gonna spray lube in the switch and pray, plus I'm gonna jump all over my brake pedal to see maybe that releases it. If I have to tear into it, I read that I have to disco the airbags and fuse, remove the center pad assembly, steering wheel, etc. Any easier method to get to this? Any tips or tricks?

As a humorous side note, and kinda a reward for you guys for reading this far - I locked my doors and shut the hood with my ONE and ONLY CHIPPED GM KEY IN THE IGNITION. Now, I gotta FIRST call roadside. WTF man.

As always, many thanks for the advice and laughs.

Old 03-06-2009, 02:45 PM
General Truck/Classifieds Forum Moderator

Dang..........sounds like its your turn Tom!!!!!!!!! just kidding it sucks to have back to back problems........here is what I would do........remove the key cyilander and make sure it opperates correctly if it does then I would look at the next thing in line which is the switch itself.........good luck and keep us informed
Chris

Old 03-06-2009, 03:25 PM

Hey Chris - I was gonna PM you this link but somehow I KNEW you'd see it I'll buzz here later.......

Old 03-06-2009, 08:03 PM

FIXED IT!

As I was saying above, sometimes I gotta stand on my brake pedal to get the key to turn to START - well, apparently it affects it to OFF as well. Got the lock guy to open my door, I got in later and stood on the brake pedal and the switch released like it should. Freakin' odd. Got the battery and coil wire hooked back up and she started like always.

So, is there some wacky brake pedal sensor that ain't quite right? Or is it I who am crazy?

Old 03-07-2009, 06:31 PM

weird............there is a brake/shift interlock but I would have to go out and look to see if it is mechanical or if it uses a switch....it use to be that the tumbler moved a rod when you turned it on and this "unlocked" the shifter.....if this rod bent or anything you could not turn the truck off.........weird

Old 03-07-2009, 10:38 PM

Ya - I gotta think it's a mechanical device since it worked with the battery disconnected. Something has got to be worn somewhere causing the odd interlock issues...

Old 03-08-2009, 09:08 AM

sounds like its time to pull it apart......if I had to guess I would say the tumbler is the prime suspect