Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Which relay controls ignition switch, stereo, PW, A/C, etc? Mine is stuck?

Old 03-09-2009, 11:40 AM
Default Which relay controls ignition switch, stereo, PW, A/C, etc? Mine is stuck?

'98 Silverado 5.0, AT

Hey - the other day my ignition switch would not return to off so the truck kept running. I pulled coil wire, and disco'd the battery. Then, I stomped on the brake pedal and the switch released. For about a day, I was able to operate the ignition switch normally and drive, then turn it off and remove the key.

However, after getting it started, sometimes the stereo would not come on, PW nor AC controls would not work, and I had an ABS warning light. I shut the truck off, turn it back on, and everything would work fine.

And again last night, the key would not turn to OFF. Again, I had to pull coil wire and disco the battery before the key would return to OFF and I could remove it.

My thinking is that one of the relays are stuck closed sometimes - which one? Does the starter relay also control all the accessories or is it a brake relay?

For now, I'm keeping a wrench in the truck to disco the battery when necessary but I'm really concerned that continually yanking the coil wire while the truck is running will damage it.

As ALWAYS, thanks AGAIN, in advance.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:26 PM
General Truck/Classifieds Forum Moderator

dibs............lol it is possible the starter relay is stuck open...but the power goes 2 main directions when it leaves the battery......to the starter and to the alternator......from the starter it also goes to the neutral safty switch then to the ignition switch...........If I had to guess I would say you may have blown a accessory fussible link down by the starter.....these are not always easy to tell which one is bad so a test light will be your "best friend" in this case

Chris

P.s. pulling the coil wire will damage the coil and possibly YOU to!!!!!!

Old 03-09-2009, 11:03 PM

Thx Chris, I'm afraid to drive it cuz if I have to disco the coil wire every time I'm really gonna have problems ($$$).

I'm kind of ruling out fuses or links because all the accessories come back on when I've been able to remove any battery power (either by turning the key off or disconnecting the battery). If I had a bad link it wouldn't work some of the time... would it?

Old 03-10-2009, 07:58 AM

It is possible..........but I had missed that part of the post....if it were me in this situation I would start at the ignition switch since this "feeds" the rest of the truck.......when it is running do all the fuses have power and these accessories still dont work? if I remember right these trucks have a cascading brake switch system (two switches) this makes it harder to diag the problem.....but you have to start somewhere.....even the neutral safety switch could cause these problems..........or you could have.......a multi system failure on your hands...but I would start at the ignition switch and go from there it is kind of a PITA but its not too bad.......let me know where you decide to start...and I will look at the wiring diagram a little bit better today and see what I can tell you

Chris

Old 03-10-2009, 09:58 AM

I'm back to work this week but will try to start checking tonight. Any other ways to kill the engine safely without pulling coil wire?

Old 03-10-2009, 11:07 AM

not really....except to "choke" it.........remove the air cleaner and put your hand over the throttle body and cut off all the air

Chris

Old 03-10-2009, 08:31 PM

Looking at wiring diagram, all the accessories connected to the "HOT IN RUN" status are the ones affected. Besides the ignition switch, where else does this signal come from?

Old 03-11-2009, 01:58 AM

The "signal" comes from the battery/ starter...like I said in one of my earlier posts I think its time to pull the key tumbler and ignition switch and I think you WILL find your problem....these trucks are known to burn wires in the steering colum too

Chris

Old 03-11-2009, 10:18 AM

Yeah, I remember that posting - was trying to believe that wasn't it I'll check it out. Going on vacation next week and may not have time to get to it. I'll leave the keys here if you wanna come by and take a look at it for me........

Old 03-11-2009, 02:17 PM

yeah sure no problem...lol i will just hop right in the burban and make a road trip to..........Michigan I assume based on your signature line...... or you could bring it to me in Missouri on your way out on vacation lol..................but really have fun on vacation and let me know when you find out what is wrong

Chris

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Which relay controls ignition switch, stereo, PW, A/C, etc? Mine is stuck?