Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

I'm sure some of you had the same question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 02:46 PM
Beginner
Default I'm sure some of you had the same question.

I was wondering what the best oil was to use in my GM truck and get the truck to last years and years. I found this site that has great information it's http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub ... b=cfrm&c=2 This is everything you need to know about oil and other vehicle lubricants. After spending all morning reading a multitude of threads this is what I got out of it.

Mobile One Extended Performance Full Synthetic, Pennzoil Platinum, Amsoil XL about the three best oils that you can use for GM trucks. In order to get the best performance for your truck send your oil into Black Stone Labs and get your UOA (Used Oil Analysis). But in order to do this you have to run the oil you want to test for at least two oil changes. After reading a lot of threads on Bobistheoilguy.com the oil that had the best UOA's was Amsoil XL in GM trucks. But any Name brand synthetic 5w-30 with a K&N filter or Mobil 1 filter and following the Oil Life Monitor will still yield you a very long lasting Gm truck. So really it all comes down to personal preference. There are a few people on there who have only used Mobil 1 full syn in their 2000 Gm trucks and are over 250,000 miles and are still running strong. Granted I'm sure there are other conditions involved like if they ever towed anything but hey to know that 250,000 is attainable and still have a healthy truck is great news to me so I just thought I'd pass on what I learned today to the rest of the forum.

Old 09-25-2010, 12:45 AM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

Hey thats great info. I been using Royal Purple and been doin good, I mean as far as no knocking and good oil pressure with 230k miles. Im thinking of goin with that Amsoil.

Old 09-25-2010, 12:31 PM

I've been running Mobil 1, and either the Mobil 1 filter, or the GM Delco one. I take the oil to the dealership, and just pay labor charges. Cheaper than the $109 Mobil 1 oil change job there. Only at @30k on the truck, but I never wait til the oil life monitor says to change. I had mine done this week and at 5,000 miles, the oil life monitor says 30% left. I do tow a 7,000 dry weight TT with my 1500.