Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Intermediate Steering Shaft

Old 05-18-2010, 08:30 AM
Default Intermediate Steering Shaft

I have a clunking coming from the front of my 03 Silverado that I have been told is a problem with the intermediate steering shaft. How to I replace this? Where can I get some drawings on my truck? What is the best manual to get? Who has the best price on the part I need?

Old 05-18-2010, 09:10 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

There are a couple routes to go. You can either be cheap (like me) and pull your shaft, regrease it, and reinstall for the cost of the grease or you can buy the new upgraded shaft. The downfall to the cheap version is I guess I will have to do it periodically, but I did my wife's Yukon about 8 months ago and it is still fine. I have done a handful of others that way and everyone is still happy. It only takes me about 1/2 an hour now, but the first time it took about an hour or slightly longer. If you want to regrease it yourself let me know and I will walk you through it.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Mr_Shamrock
There are a couple routes to go. You can either be cheap (like me) and pull your shaft, regrease it, and reinstall for the cost of the grease or you can buy the new upgraded shaft. The downfall to the cheap version is I guess I will have to do it periodically, but I did my wife's Yukon about 8 months ago and it is still fine. I have done a handful of others that way and everyone is still happy. It only takes me about 1/2 an hour now, but the first time it took about an hour or slightly longer. If you want to regrease it yourself let me know and I will walk you through it.
It doesn't sound like just a bit of grease would help this. There is obviously something worn in here causing the clunk and I would be happier replacing the worn part than some stopgap measure, even if it did work. I would like to see a drawing of what I'm working on, it would make it a lot simpler. Where can I get some good manuals and drawings?

Old 05-19-2010, 01:57 PM

Trust me if it is the intermediate shaft the grease fixes the problem. It basically gets washed out over time and you have metal splines against metal splines. A good quality marine grease and all becomes quiet. There are tons of articles on this annoying problem. Just do a web search and I am sure you will find all the pics you want. Good luck!

Old 05-19-2010, 01:58 PM

Here is a good article.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Mr_Shamrock
Here is a good article.
That gave me a pretty good idea how to go. Do you have a part number or know the best price on one of these? I don't need anything like the Borgeson version as this is just a work truck. I figure if I have to go through the hassle of removing it, I might as well replace it and not have to worry about it again.

Last edited by tonynace; 05-20-2010 at 08:28 AM.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:10 AM

I never have purchased a new one so I don't have the part number. You could always search eBay. Good luck!