Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Replacing intermediate steering shaft

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 12:34 PM
Beginner
Default Replacing intermediate steering shaft

I have the newest intermediate steering shaft in my hands to replace the "clunker" in my '04. I see where it connects under the hood but it looks like have to go under the dash for the other end? I have no problem doing this but it would be nice if someone could point me in the correct direction, tell me what needs to come apart and what doesn't? TIA, RT

Old 06-26-2009, 12:57 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

It is super easy...Make sure your wheels are straight and the steering wheel is locked. Make a mark where the shaft slides in to verify that nothing turns while taking it apart. There is one nut under the dash (mine was a 14MM) and then the bolt pulls out. The bolt has a retaining clip attached so it doesn't spin. Pull the bolt out and collapse the shaft towards the fire wall. The other bolt is under the hood which you already mentioned. It has the same type of retaining clip. The whole assembly will then pull out from under the dash. It has to come out from under there don't try to pull it out from under the hood it will not come out that way. It actually will pull out very easily once the shaft is completely collapsed. Installation is just the reverse. Good Luck!

Old 06-26-2009, 02:18 PM
Beginner

Thanks, you were correct, it was quite simple. One piece of advice is to NOT lock the steering wheel. That way the shaft can be turned which faces the nut inside the cab DOWN and a socket/ratchet can be used! Without that you are using a box end wrench and turning 1/16th of a turn each time.

RT

Old 06-26-2009, 04:13 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

You definitely want to lock the steering wheels b/c if the wheel for some reason was turned to far it can do some damage. I guess I use a ratchet wrench each time I do it so I never came across that. I am glad you got it done though. I regrease mine every so often so I have gotten to where I can do it with my eyes closed. Let us know how the new and improved shaft works out for you.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:25 PM
Beginner

I don't see how the wheel can be rotated far enough to do any damage..... At any rate, I only needed to rotate a quarter turn to get the socket on it. Alternatively a ratcheting box wrench would work as well.

Regarding the new shaft, there is a considerable difference to the old one. My old unit has a rubber damper/connector section and the greased splines that I'm sure you are familiar with. The new unit has no rubber at all, its all solid. There is also no splines or grease. The sliding section is dry and smooth. Cannot tell how it works without taking it to bits.

You don't realize how much play exists in the old unit until you put the new one in. The old unit has almost imperceptible play in the splined sliding section. The steering feel is MUCH improved, more direct with the new unit. No rubber and no slop. I like! Part #19153614 @$90.00

RT