Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

IPOD hook up on 98 K1500 with aux CD player hookups

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 12:17 PM
Lightbulb IPOD hook up on 98 K1500 with aux CD player hookups

I have a 98 K1500 that came with an aux CD player, I swapped it out with a newer headunit with the CD player integrated within. It still has the hookup for an aux player. Could a guy or had anyone hook up some kind of power adapter and also hook up the sound output to go into that aux hookup for an IPOD or something like it?

I am curious to hear if anyone has done this to try and keep the factory look and still have the versitility of running an IPOD through the headunit, and not through the stupid FM transmitters that are sold with the IPODs.

Please let me know if you have done something similare or have done this. I hait them stupid FM transmitters. I am kindof new to this IPOD thing, I still use CD's and Sirius.

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-15-2009, 06:03 PM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator
Old 06-16-2009, 11:55 AM

That's good, but it is the same thing that I am already doing. It is still just an FM modulator. I want to hard wire it in so that I can hit the AUX button on the headunit and it will enable me to plug my IPOD in and it will not only charge my IPOD but it will also play it through the headunit. But not control the IPOD, just play what it is playing.

I guess what I would have to know is what wires are the inputs to make the plug on the AUX input work for power and the input for sound to the headunit. That way I could buy a vehicle charger and direct sound output for an IPOD and be able to wire it directly in so it is hard wired to the headunit, and will work with the AUX input on the headunit.

Do you know what I mean? I don't know how else to explain it. Maybe someone else could help explain it?

Thanks for the help though. That would work better than what I have now!

Old 06-16-2009, 08:21 PM
General Truck/Classifieds Forum Moderator

I had played with this idea too but could not find the wiring diagram specifics I needed to do it..........that being said I have also tryed the fm modulator route with unsatisfied results. If I can get ahold of a diagram of the entertainment system I would be happy to help out.

Last edited by chrisbmo2000; 06-16-2009 at 08:24 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:25 PM

Great minds must think alike, gpet6669 - I too have wondered if this was possible

Old 06-16-2009, 08:28 PM
General Truck/Classifieds Forum Moderator

oh its possible you just have to have the right wires in the right places.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:01 PM

First of all it is possible and you can just buy the stuff to do it cheap. What years is the radio from. I have a 2000 silverado with the tape player in the headunit and a slave cd player down bottom. I bought a aux converter that plugs in between the slave cd/tape player and I can plug my zune into it and push the aux button. The only down fall is that you have to have a cd in the cd player to work. Mine works great no problems at all.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:45 PM

Is it a straight plug and play? Mine's a '98........

Old 06-16-2009, 11:48 PM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

IF you just want to hook up an aux to it cuz you dont wanna change out the head unit to a newer style then go ahead, but I guarantee you wont get the true sound quality than if you go with a new one. I have this...http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...iDA-X100M.html... and it works AWESOME!!! Loud and clear with almost zero distortion. Anything with an AUX hook up, will never come close to sound quality than with a newer head unit with IPOD hook up. I also use memory flash drives for extra music. Like changing cd's out but mine holds 4,000 songs each. Think bout it!

Old 06-17-2009, 12:08 AM

FYI - I didn't search too deeply but the converters I saw run around $75. For twice that, you can get a whole new head unit with the aux in, CD player, and a lot more power. Unless it was something like $25 I won't be bothering.

Quick Reply: IPOD hook up on 98 K1500 with aux CD player hookups