Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

IPOD hook up on 98 K1500 with aux CD player hookups

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 10:45 AM

I don't want to go to an aftermarket headunit, I have basically the same setup that a 2000 Chevy has, I had the same setup as DMCCARTYFAN has. But now I have a newer sterio with the cd player built in. I guess to use the current converter I would have to go back to the old setup that I changed out. I guess I will just use the FM transmitter that I already have.

Thanks for the input.

Old 06-19-2009, 06:42 PM

From what I can tell, you're looking for one of these -
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_581PA11...earch=usa+ipod

I have my stock head unit hooked up to my XM Skyfi and Ipod in my 2000 Silverado. Your new stock unit probably has a port for the ribbon cable needed to hook this up(Crutchfield Cust Serv will let you know if you are not sure). You hit the AUX button to turn on the ipod. Since it plugs into the charging port and not the earbud port, none of the songs are effected by low/high volumes. This kit will charge the ipod w/ or w/o the ignition on because it's hooked up to hot wires. This kit comes with everything needed...I hooked mine up to the old cassette output. Takes about 20-30 minutes. Everything plugged right in - no cutting/splicing.

I pulled out the center console and drilled a slot into the bottom of the storage area so I could run the cable into the console. the ipod is stored snuggly into a koozie in the map holder of the lid. Everything looks bone stock in my truck, but there are all sorts of goodies in there.

Last edited by brewdog; 06-19-2009 at 06:49 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:58 AM

This is the only thing that I have found.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_541ISGM...it.html?tp=120

I know that it requires the CD player be installed. But can I hook the old slave CD player into my current head unit? (I have the newer headunit with the cd player integrated but is the same look as the older model) Would it work enough to be able to use this interface kit?

I would really not like to go back to the older unit witht eh slave cd player if I don't have to.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:54 PM

you should be able to use your new stock radio if it has the cable port to hook up the cassette deck.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:52 PM

You are right...that is the same radio as mine, i have been back there dozens of times and there are no RCA's. Do a google search for PAC AAIGM9 and find a good price for one. That is what I am using. It plugs in between the slave cd player and the headunit. The aux box has 2 rca hookups so you can plug your ipod into and another source like a dvd player or whatever. Then there is also a switch that switches between the two sources and the cd player so you can listen to any of them at anytime.You just need to find a good spot to mount it(I have mine in the center console) The only other thing you will need is a 3.5mm plug/rca cable.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:26 AM

That would work but I don't have the satellite cd player in my truck any more. I have the newer headunit in it. I still have the old setup, but I don't want to go back to it. The old headunit has burned out back lights, and the remote cd player is finicky.
I have also found this;
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_581PA11...ures_and_specs

It says it works on the 2000 Chevy truck headunit, I think that is the model I have.

Can anyone tell me what model year(s) my sterio came out of?
It is just like the 98's with the smaller *****, but mine has the cd player integrated. I think it is out of an 2000's model truck. Please let me know what you think it is out of. I know I pulled it out of an Tahoe, but that shouldn't matter.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:46 PM

gpet i am in the same situation i have a 98 truck with a new integrated cd player from a 2000 series truck. ive read through the post and still havent come to a promising idea. that part from cruchfeild is too expensive might as well get a new unit. i just want and aux cable hook up why is this so hard?