Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Jan 04 2013 Roll Away RECALL

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 07:53 AM
Administrator
Default Jan 04 2013 Roll Away RECALL

GM 2013 Full-Size Truck Recall :: Chevy Silverado, Tahoe, Suburban,Avalanche, Express

General Motors Co is recalling more than 69,000 full-size trucks and vans globally that could roll away after being parked due to a potential steering column defect, the automaker said on Friday.

About 55,000 of the vehicles in the recall are in the United States, 6,310 are in Canada and 7,084 are exports, GM said. Another 670 are in Mexico.

Affected vehicles include certain 2013-model Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT and Escalade ESV SUVs; Chevrolet Express vans, Silverado and Avalanche pickup trucks, and Tahoe and Suburban SUVs; and GMC Savanna vans, Sierra pickup trucks, and Yukon and Yukon XL SUVs, GM said.

This recall covered certain 2013 GM full-size truck models.

• GMT600 - Chevrolet Express (601) & GMC Savanna (602)
  • GMT900 - Chevy Silverado (911) & GMC Sierra (912)
  • GMT940 - Chevy Avalanche (941) & Cadillac EXT (946)
  • GMT920 - Chevy Tahoe (921), GMC Yukon (922) & Cadillac Escalade (926)
  • GMT930 - Chevy Suburban (931), GMC Yukon XL (932) & Cadillac Escalade ESV (936)

About 55,000 of the vehicles in the recall are in the United States, 6,310 are in Canada and 7,084 are exports, GM said. Another 670 are in Mexico.

Affected vehicles include certain 2013-model Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT and Escalade ESV SUVs; Chevrolet Express vans, Silverado and Avalanche pickup trucks, and Tahoe and Suburban SUVs; and GMC Savanna vans, Sierra pickup trucks, and Yukon and Yukon XL SUVs, GM said.

GM says the vehicles may have been built with faulty park lock cables or malformed steering column lock gears. The vehicles can be shifted out of park even if the ignition key is in the off position or removed. GM says about one in 1,000 of the vehicles has the problem, and most haven’t been sold yet.

The company says it knows of no crashes or injuries caused by the problem.

The recall includes almost 55,000 vehicles in the U.S. and another 14,000 in Canada, Mexico and elsewhere in the world.

Dealers will replace the steering column free of charge if necessary.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:56 PM
TruckForum Addict

Hmm interesting. At least they're owning up to it ... So the fix is to replace the steering column? Seems like they don't really have a "fix"

Old 01-06-2013, 02:58 AM

Well, at least they are doing something about it. The Chevy dealer here bought out GMC dealer over the summer. I took my truck in for some recall work on the accelerator cable after it stuck open on me, and they wouldn't fix it because they are Chevy, and mine was a GMC. Pissed me off. Closest GMC dealer is 500 miles away, so I ended up fixing it myself.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:52 AM
Administrator

I'm sure they do have a fix.
The suits probably wade the pros and cons of either the techs opening up the steering column and fixing it as apposed to just replacing it. It was probably cheaper for them to just R and R the column.
Also GM may have forced the manufacture of the columns liable for the safety of the customers.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:09 PM
TMW

Originally Posted by RustyFordLover
Well, at least they are doing something about it. The Chevy dealer here bought out GMC dealer over the summer. I took my truck in for some recall work on the accelerator cable after it stuck open on me, and they wouldn't fix it because they are Chevy, and mine was a GMC. Pissed me off. Closest GMC dealer is 500 miles away, so I ended up fixing it myself.
I think that calls for a complaint letter to GM.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:36 PM

It's already been fixed, and I gave up with GM, and don't even know what I did with the receipts for the parts anymore.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:00 PM
Beginner
Question Steering wheel adjustment

We took our brand new (less than a week) GMC Sierra 2500HD in to have running boards installed by the dealer. During the drop off they informed me that they would be checking the steering column for a recall item..but very vague on what it was at the time. Upon pick up we were told that the service tech ''looked at it and it's ok.."

Today I got in, went to adjust the steering wheel up and it jumped to the uppermost position and now it won't come back down! It appears something in the latch is hung up and won't release the steering wheel at all now. Called the service tech and of course we have to drive it the half hour back over to have it looked at..any ideas what might have happened? Related to the recall work?

Old 01-11-2013, 09:38 PM
Administrator

I'm not sure that is related to the recall. Apparently the steering column isn't allowing the shift lever to reach the transmission's park position.

Good luck with your stealership and your tilt steering

Old 01-13-2013, 05:00 PM

RustyFordLover,

I am sorry to hear about your experience with your dealer. Feel free to contact me or Darion privately if you would like to provide additional feedback. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service (Assisting Darion).

Old 01-13-2013, 06:09 PM
Administrator

There ya go Danny... Start lookin for those receipts

Quick Reply: Jan 04 2013 Roll Away RECALL