Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Key and tumbler?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 04:44 PM
Talking Key and tumbler?

Hey all, I have a 2001 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4. I want to change the key and tumbler. Does anyone know of a how to anywhere on the net? Or here? I have been searching since last night and I can't seem to find anything that can help me. I am pretty sure I have to remove the steering wheel, but I want to make sure before I start.

Thanks
Jason.

Old 11-25-2009, 05:41 PM

This is for a diesel truck but the key switch will be the same. It may give you some ideas. Good luck.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=251352

Old 11-26-2009, 05:01 PM

Gives me kind of an idea. It doesn't show how to remove the key and tumbler though...just the switch.

Old 11-27-2009, 04:58 AM

1. Set the front wheels in the straight-ahead position.
2. Set the steering wheel in the LOCK position. Caution: Refer to Battery Disconnect Caution in Service Precautions.
3. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
4. Disable the supplemental inflatable restraint (SIR) system. Refer to Disabling the SIR System in Air Bags and Seat Belts.
5. Remove the steering column trim covers. Refer to Steering Column Trim Cover Replacement - On Vehicle.

6. Turn the ignition lock cylinder to the START position.
7. Using an awl, insert the tip into the ignition lock cylinder access hole (1).
8. Push down and hold the ignition lock cylinder retaining pin.
9. Release the ignition lock cylinder to the RUN position.
10. Remove the ignition lock cylinder by pulling the ignition lock cylinder away from the steering column (2).

Attached Thumbnails Key and tumbler?-cylinder.gif  
Old 11-27-2009, 11:35 AM
Talking

Thats the thing, how do you remove the steering column trim covers? I don't see any philips or torx heads, just holes? Any ideas? Three holes at the bottom.

Old 11-27-2009, 03:18 PM

Disable the SIR system. Refer to Disabling the SIR System in SIR.
Remove the steering wheel. Refer to Steering Wheel Replacement .
Remove the tilt lever from steering column. Refer to Tilt Lever Replacement - On Vehicle .
Important: You must check for 2 pan head tapping screws (1) in the lower trim before removal.
If necessary remove the pan head tapping screws (1) that retain the lower steering column trim cover to the steering column.
If no screws are present, gently unsnap the lower trim cover from the upper trim cover.
Tilt the trim cover down and slide it back in order to disengage the locking tabs.
Remove the lower steering column trim cover.
Slide the shift lever seal up the shift lever.
Important: You must check for 1 TORX head screw (1) in the upper trim cover (2) before removal.
If necessary, remove the screw (1) that retains the upper steering column trim cover to the steering column.
If no screw is present, gently unsnap the upper steering column trim cover.
Remove the upper steering column trim cover.
Installation Procedure
Important: If the snap on/off feature on the trim covers was damaged during the removal procedure, you must use screws for the installation procedure.

Install the upper steering column trim cover (2).
Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

If necessary, install the screw that retains the upper steering column trim cover to the steering column.
Tighten
Tighten the upper steering column trim cover retaining screws to 1.5 N·m (13 lb in).
Install the lower steering column trim cover.
Match the tabs slots onto the lower cover with the locking tabs on the upper cover.
Tilt the lower shroud up.
If no screws were present, gently snap the lower trim cover to the upper trim cover.
If necessary, install the screws (1) that retain the lower steering column trim cover to the steering column.
Tighten
Tighten the lower steering column trim cover retaining screws to 3.5 N·m (31 lb in).
Install the tilt lever to the steering column. Refer to Tilt Lever Replacement - On Vehicle .
Install the steering wheel. Refer to Steering Wheel Replacement .
Enable the SIR system. Refer to Enabling the SIR System in SIR.

Attached Thumbnails Key and tumbler?-upper.jpg   Key and tumbler?-lower.jpg  
Old 11-27-2009, 03:43 PM
Talking

Awesome, I will give it a shot tonight! So I guess the steering wheel cover is just snapped in place? I can't see any torx or screw heads in the holes at all. Will see if I can pop it off, hehe. Thanks for the helpful info guys. Hopefully I don't break anything tonight, lol.